ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Ecaradec's Software

Qatapult

<< < (2/67) > >>

ecaradec:
Yes, Qatapult is a copy of Quicksilver (for the moment ... but I have terrribles projects )

I don't think Quicksilver ever worked on Unix, I think that it was all objective-c and it may have discouraged any porting effort.

Thanks for the bug report ewemoa, it's fixed.

To add folders to your search path, you can left click on the first item. Try clicking slightly at the beginning of the row, otherwise the component doesn't understand that as an edition. You should be able to add X:\apps there.

I'll allow to change the invocation shortcut soon, I agree with your remark, I tend to invoke it without really willing it.

I also added new changes :
- Text edition mode : you can now switch to edit mode by typing . and then use the arrows and delete keys.
- You can also paste text into the UI with ctrl+v
- There is now support for extra user commands for files : there is no UI, but you can check them in the ini file. I added two examples. You can use %p (path), %d (directory ) and %f (filename ) as inputs

I really need to find a way to simplify the UI of the settings, as it is taking me more time to code that the actual functions...

ewemoa:
...it's fixed.
-ecaradec (January 15, 2012, 11:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks!  Hope to try it out on an XP machine soon.

To add folders to your search path, you can left click on the first item. Try clicking slightly at the beginning of the row, otherwise the component doesn't understand that as an edition. You should be able to add X:\apps there.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the tip -- seems to work here (at least under W7).

I'll allow to change the invocation shortcut soon, I agree with your remark, I tend to invoke it without really willing it.

--- End quote ---

Looking forward to it!

I also added new changes :
- Text edition mode : you can now switch to edit mode by typing . and then use the arrows and delete keys.

--- End quote ---

Interesting -- I see a single large pane when I enter that mode.

- You can also paste text into the UI with ctrl+v

--- End quote ---

Worked here -- definitely nice to have this functionality.

- There is now support for extra user commands for files : there is no UI, but you can check them in the ini file. I added two examples. You can use %p (path), %d (directory ) and %f (filename ) as inputs

--- End quote ---

I see:

[FileVerbs]
count=2
0_name=Cmd here
0_workdir=%d
0_command=cmd
0_args=

--- End quote ---

If there are more than two commands, does the value of count need to be updated?

Also, I have not succeeded in getting "Cmd here" and "Explore here" to appear in my UI.  Typing either cmd or explore and looking through the results doesn't appear to show the associated custom commands.  Any hints?

I really need to find a way to simplify the UI of the settings, as it is taking me more time to code that the actual functions...

--- End quote ---

What do you think of Firefox's "about:config" UI?  Would it be easy to implement?

ecaradec:
Interesting -- I see a single large pane when I enter that mode.
--- End quote ---
I watched some Quicksilver video and the interface seems to behave that way. I actually liked the idea as it gives more space and make things much clearer when you need to edit things. I was a bit annoyed of allowing to edit paths inside the thumbnail that I used to display text.

If there are more than two commands, does the value of count need to be updated?
--- End quote ---
Yes, you need to update the value of count.

Also, I have not succeeded in getting "Cmd here" and "Explore here" to appear in my UI.  Typing either cmd or explore and looking through the results doesn't appear to show the associated custom commands.  Any hints?
--- End quote ---
Hum, I put the "cmd here" and "explore here" in the settings.default.ini, you need to copy these lines inside your settings.ini. The default is just here to be used if there is no local settings.ini file.

What do you think of Firefox's "about:config" UI?  Would it be easy to implement?
--- End quote ---
That's a nice idea, but I'm not sure that it brings a lot of value over just editing an ini file. I'll probably do a fully featured settings UI, I just need to polish a bit things to make things easier to setup. That's should be ok anyway.

ewemoa:
...it's fixed.
-ecaradec (January 15, 2012, 11:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks!  Hope to try it out on an XP machine soon.
-ewemoa (January 15, 2012, 06:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Worked here under XP :)

ewemoa:
Hum, I put the "cmd here" and "explore here" in the settings.default.ini, you need to copy these lines inside your settings.ini. The default is just here to be used if there is no local settings.ini file.
-ecaradec (January 16, 2012, 06:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

settings.ini is where I saw them.  Any other ideas what I might be doing wrong?

That's a nice idea, but I'm not sure that it brings a lot of value over just editing an ini file. I'll probably do a fully featured settings UI, I just need to polish a bit things to make things easier to setup. That's should be ok anyway.

--- End quote ---

Not trying to convince you which way to go with the following -- just sharing some thoughts.

As I see it, the FF about:config UI provides a number of benefits:

* Users can discover what settings are possible more uniformly -- a user searches a single linear list as compared with possibly switching among multiple screens / tabs / dialogs -- it is clearer whether all items have been scanned and also clear how much there is to search
* Users can search for particular settings more easily than many traditional GUI config screens -- settings can be named and thus referred to (and possibly searched for / filtered for) more easily, e.g. app.update.auto VS the checkbox labeled auto on the update tab in the app dialog
* It is much easier for developers to expose (certain?) new settings to users -- I presume this one is obvious
* With an ini file there is no validation of values entered, whereas with a GUI there can be
I find settings-related GUI programming to often be a hassle -- though it's certainly nice from a user perspective to have a nice GUI for learning what can be configured and nice to be guided to "correct" values.  I think though that making it possible for a 3rd party app to provide a GUI for displaying / writing settings is attractive -- a minimal config UI like what FF provides seems like the main dev(s) can channel / focus their effort / time / resources on other functionality of the app.

Well, there's my two local currency units :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version