ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Bits - Ultra Recall

<< < (5/7) > >>

rgdot:
March 2010 was last deal I believe, I didn't buy it and haven't this time. 10 hours or so to decide...

Bionic71:
Kinook didn't proper Ultra Recall v3 for Windows7 when released, Ultra Recall v3 didn't work at all on Windows7.
Instead Kinook released v4 which forced every Windows7 user to upgrade  >:(

I wouldn't be surprised if this happens again with Windows8 & Office 2012 -> Ultra Recall v5

I like GPsoft for that (Directory Opus v9), propering & all before moving to v10 -> 100% customer care

Still, $39 for Ultra Recall v4 Pro.. nice deal, very useful

y2kusuma:
I wouldn't be surprised if this happens again with Windows8 & Office 2012 -> Ultra Recall v5
-Bionic71 (January 16, 2012, 06:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I asked Kyle from Kinook about this on Bitsdujour. He replied there will be updates for Windows 8 & Office 2012 , not v5 upgrade.

I'm really interested in this Bitsdujour deal, but I can not buy because no option for PayPal payment and no response from Kyle.

LM7:
As an addendum to my post above, I will say that one of Ultra Recall's biggest missing features is the one that is biting me hard right now: the inability to save its settings for future use. I just reinstalled UR-Pro on my brand new computer and have spent the last hour + trying to get the layouts and settings just like they were before. Unfortunately it is not as simple as making a copy of an .ini or .dat file; UR stores its settings in the Windows registry, so unless you have a way to back-up your previous computer's registry in a way that allows you to restore only certain keys or at least read the settings in a human-recognizable language, then you must simply start over and try to get it close. I imagine that I COULD have made screen captures of each settings page but that wasn’t on my mind when I was making sure I had all the necessary setup files and registration codes available for the re-installations of all my software. Drats!!

Not truly a problem... just a pretty damn good annoyance!

Thanks!

Jim
-J-Mac (January 15, 2012, 10:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can transfer UR settings from one computer to another (I have done a number of times  times while updating computers) with two steps: copying the relevant registry information (using Regedit and exporting the Kinook Software key under HKCU - Software), and by copying relevant user settings as stored in your user profile.

LM7:
Oops - another little irritant I just discovered, though it is actually a Microsoft thing, not directly an Ultra Recall thing. Prior to this I could open and edit any Microsoft document (Word, Excel, Outlook - never tried PPT or PUB) within Ultra Recall. Nice feature, not having to open the Office app associated with the file. Now however with Office 2010, Microsoft has disallowed opening any file outside of the associated Office 2010 app.   :(   >:(

Ultra Recall uses Internet Explorer as it's internal browser and so used that to open/edit Microsoft Office files. Now Microsoft no longer allows Office files to open in IE - safety/security thing apparently, or so Microsoft claims. A real PITA though. Now clicking on an Office file inside Ultra Recall opens the file in its native app - Word, Excel, etc. Not a tremendous hardship but it is nice to be able to do it all in UR. Hopefully someone finds a hack for this!

Thank you.

Jim
-J-Mac (January 15, 2012, 11:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can display files internally in UR under Office 2010 by following the instructions at http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?threadid=1042 (if necessary, you can DL the registry file at the site and double-click it to install) - I tried this and it worked for me.

Good luck and enjoy!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version