ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Bits - Ultra Recall

<< < (2/7) > >>

Bionic71:
Why not try Ultra Recall for yourself? .. Buy what you feel comfortable using.

Ultra Recall has updates, I know kyle aren't posting @forum each & every update.
I have a bunch of PIM but I must say Ultra Recall is the one that I use.
It works great & I do feel comfortable storing all sorts of data in it.

We can study past hence I do track Kinooks binaries using Website-Watcher.
Here's a printout what I've downloaded so far since release of v4.. (I probably missed a few..)

-------

Ultra Recall Professional  :up:

Curt:
@app103; I assume that you have upgraded from the version you won five years ago, so you probably already have so many features that I guess only the $99 expensive Ultra Recall "Professional" may have your interest. I don't know if that will be discounted, like the Standard will, but the Pro version is really handling an impressive number of file types:

http://www.kinook.com/UltraRecall/editions.html

I haven't tried either of the two programs for the last 3 years, so my experience is outdated.

J-Mac:
Re: Bits - Ultra Recall

I've been using Ultra Recall Professional since I purchased it with a discount back in June 2008. First, I must say that it is not a program that you just download, fire it up and start using it like a pro. At least not me anyway! It is a fairly complex program and while the Help file is very detailed and extensive, it is also written as if for programmer types. By that I mean that after reading it all the way through - and that was a heck of a long read! - I was so damn lost I thought I might just close Ultra Recall and never open it again. OK, maybe not quite that bad, but I was pretty confused. The forum is an OK source of info, at least from a few experienced members, though there were some who seemed, well, a bit "elitist", if you can understand what I mean by that. I remember one such ass... err... forum member... actually posting that Ultra Recall required a higher IQ than many of the new users posting stup..., uhh, let's say very "beginner"-type questions in the forum. All in all, though, there were also some members there who were very helpful to me personally, plus reading back through older threads also helped me a lot.

All in all Ultra Recall has been one of my most used programs, as I store all my important documents in it. I can search for any document within Ultra Recall and usually find it faster than otherwise. Of course I only use the documents stored in UR for reference; if I need to revise and resend anything I will still use the original document in its native app. My copies of documents in UR is primarily for organization.

Jim

cyberdiva:
@Curt - Thanks very much for the link to the list of features of the various versions.  As far as I can tell, Ultra Recall doesn't offer me anything I really need that I don't already get with Surfulater.  And since I've got a zillion items already stored and immediately findable in Surfulater, I guess I'll stick with that and see what Neville comes up with next.  Though, with a not-very-successfully-recovering software junkie like me, one never knows.  :)

@Bionic71 - I think what I've just said above (to Curt) probably explains why I don't just download Ultra Recall and try it out.  If I were trying to decide which of the two programs to buy, I would probably do what you suggest, but since I already am happily using Surfulater, I would only try out Ultra Recall if it offered me something important that Surfulater does not.  As far as I can tell, that's not the case.

J-Mac:
As an addendum to my post above, I will say that one of Ultra Recall's biggest missing features is the one that is biting me hard right now: the inability to save its settings for future use. I just reinstalled UR-Pro on my brand new computer and have spent the last hour + trying to get the layouts and settings just like they were before. Unfortunately it is not as simple as making a copy of an .ini or .dat file; UR stores its settings in the Windows registry, so unless you have a way to back-up your previous computer's registry in a way that allows you to restore only certain keys or at least read the settings in a human-recognizable language, then you must simply start over and try to get it close. I imagine that I COULD have made screen captures of each settings page but that wasn’t on my mind when I was making sure I had all the necessary setup files and registration codes available for the re-installations of all my software. Drats!!

Not truly a problem... just a pretty damn good annoyance!

Thanks!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version