ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Alertbear - the *different* RSS reader - free!

<< < (4/4)

moerl:
Wow.. that's awesome. Mouser and I were discussing EXACTLY what Goethe covers in his quote on IRC the other day... the difference between having an idea and making that idea a reality. We reached the same conclusion Goethe did :)

I have one last final today and after that an essay to worry about, but I'll get to it.

mouser:
"Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world." -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
--- End quote ---

let me give you my 80/20 version of this that i have learned from my own personal experience and that of watching other programmers:

coming up with a 80% good idea is easy and implementing 80% of the the idea is easy

but that last 20 and 20 can be incredibly mind-numbingly hard.

nevf:
"Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world." -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
--- End quote ---

let me give you my 80/20 version of this that i have learned from my own personal experience and that of watching other programmers:

coming up with a 80% good idea is easy and implementing 80% of the the idea is easy

but that last 20 and 20 can be incredibly mind-numbingly hard.

-mouser (March 31, 2006, 05:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

Amen! But you neglected to say that getting the last 10% down can border on the impossible and can take forever. :tellme: This is where most projects fail and fall by the wayside.

mouser:
great point.
any active coder will tell you that most programs create their own 10% todo list each year, so it's very rare that a program ever gets to (or at least stays) 100% complete.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version