ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Lost My Faith - Need New Religion - Need LAMP Help...

<< < (4/6) > >>

steeladept:
Not that I can speak from experience per se, but I do suggest the VPS option if you don't use your own server(s) to their fullest.  It can be significantly cheaper than owning your own server, and is often backed up by enterprise features you couldn't afford with your own server.  Things like automated backup, failover, clustering (potentially), etc.  Yes, most charge extra for those features, but not a lot compared to the costs and hassles of doing it yourself.  Specific companies, however, I cannot recommend due to lack of experience with any of them.

As for the email server, I have heard a lot of good things from Open-Exchange.  Don't know anything about it from an admin standpoint other than that hearsay, but I can say it is functional enough from the client end (My ISP uses it).  It isn't great, but I don't know many/any that are anywhere near Exchange in features/compatibility/stability.  Two of the three, yes, but not all three.

Server OS?  I am partial to Debian, but that is only because I really like Mint Linux and the LMDE release.  Yes, this is designed as a desktop edition, but keeping the desktop and the Server the same base OS does make some things marginally easier.  Otherwise I have been told by many that SUSE is by far the easiest for most people to learn coming from Windows Servers.  CentOS is also quite popular and I use it at work everyday (as a user, not an admin) - it is also quite functional.  The one thing I learned with Linux is don't worry too much about the flavor, just choose a popular one and dive in.  You can figure it out and learn as you go.  By and large, the changes are in the shell and not the OS itself anyway, which makes them relatively easy to rip and replace as needed.

Lastly CMS.  Can't say.  My only suggestion here is WordPress is the biggest general purpose CMS deployed (measured by number of deployments).  There has to be a reason for that...I will leave it to your own research and conclusions as to why, but that is why I would start there.

vlastimil:
I have been using VPS with CentOS and LAMP for the last year and had no problems with that setup. Some configuration was needed in the beginning to get the latest PHP and some additional packages, but I managed to do that and I am not a Linux guy, so it is that difficult.

I am also using google to handle email for the domain. All I needed were a few mailboxes that just archive and forward emails. For this task, google mail works OK.

Regarding the open source CMSs, I am not a big fan of those. I played with wordpress and drupal, but they did not fulfill my expectations. My wordpress blog got hacked after not updating it for a while (who wants to update things all the time?). My wordpress blog and my drupal site are almost invisible and they still get tons of automated spam. Also, because of the complexity of wordpress and drupal, I do not have the feeling I am in control. The systems are too complex and too much time is needed to learn to customize them and to eventually do some plug-ins. Still, if you do not want to make a custom CMS, wordpress is probably the way to go, but be prepared for the spam.

f0dder:
Hmmmm

“The world today has 6.8 billion people… that’s headed up to about 9 billion. Now, if we do a really great job on new vaccines, health care, reproductive health services, we could lower that by perhaps 10 or 15 percent.”
Spoken like a true eugenicist!  He wants to kill 15% of the global population through vaccines.  His Foundation has already been responsible for forced vaccinations at gunpoint, so I suppose this isn’t any new surprise.-http://www.truthistreason.net/bill-gates-foundation-buys-500000-shares-of-biotech-terrorist-monsanto
--- End quote ---

Well that source clearly has zero credibility or reason. Not a good start for the anti-bill side :-\-Eóin (January 09, 2012, 06:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
I agree entirely.

The rethorics used by that site gives it zero credibility in my eyes. They don't list decent sources, and spin a lot of crap on hear-say... there might be valid points hidden there, but it drowns in the tinfoil hat insanity. I have no doubts that monsanto are pure evil, it's easy reaching that conclusion by seeing how they act as a corporation. But equating biotech with "bio terrorism"? Come on, I expected you to be a bit more intelligent than falling for that.

There's plenty of reasons to be wary of biotech, but some of the sites you link seem like fanatical nutters. Makes me sick.

wraith808:

* New host
-Renegade (January 08, 2012, 11:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Where are you hosting now?  Are they a windows only shop?  And how fast are you looking at moving?

I ask because I host a windows and a centos server on liquidweb.com.  They're good, very helpful, and the cool thing about it is that I'm not locked into either/or.

Renegade:
Not that I can speak from experience per se, but I do suggest the VPS option if you don't use your own server(s) to their fullest.  It can be significantly cheaper than owning your own server, and is often backed up by enterprise features you couldn't afford with your own server.  Things like automated backup, failover, clustering (potentially), etc.  Yes, most charge extra for those features, but not a lot compared to the costs and hassles of doing it yourself.  Specific companies, however, I cannot recommend due to lack of experience with any of them.

As for the email server, I have heard a lot of good things from Open-Exchange.  Don't know anything about it from an admin standpoint other than that hearsay, but I can say it is functional enough from the client end (My ISP uses it).  It isn't great, but I don't know many/any that are anywhere near Exchange in features/compatibility/stability.  Two of the three, yes, but not all three.

Server OS?  I am partial to Debian, but that is only because I really like Mint Linux and the LMDE release.  Yes, this is designed as a desktop edition, but keeping the desktop and the Server the same base OS does make some things marginally easier.  Otherwise I have been told by many that SUSE is by far the easiest for most people to learn coming from Windows Servers.  CentOS is also quite popular and I use it at work everyday (as a user, not an admin) - it is also quite functional.  The one thing I learned with Linux is don't worry too much about the flavor, just choose a popular one and dive in.  You can figure it out and learn as you go.  By and large, the changes are in the shell and not the OS itself anyway, which makes them relatively easy to rip and replace as needed.

Lastly CMS.  Can't say.  My only suggestion here is WordPress is the biggest general purpose CMS deployed (measured by number of deployments).  There has to be a reason for that...I will leave it to your own research and conclusions as to why, but that is why I would start there.
-steeladept (January 09, 2012, 05:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmm... open-xchange doesn't have any prices listed when I click the BUY link. Must be out of my price range then. :D

I've heard that about Linux - just do it. Interesting what you mention about SuSe. I'm somewhat drawn to it as they have Mono with it, which would make my life easier as I know C# extremely well, and that would make life a lot easier for some things.

I have been using VPS with CentOS and LAMP for the last year and had no problems with that setup. Some configuration was needed in the beginning to get the latest PHP and some additional packages, but I managed to do that and I am not a Linux guy, so it is that difficult.

I am also using google to handle email for the domain. All I needed were a few mailboxes that just archive and forward emails. For this task, google mail works OK.

Regarding the open source CMSs, I am not a big fan of those. I played with wordpress and drupal, but they did not fulfill my expectations. My wordpress blog got hacked after not updating it for a while (who wants to update things all the time?). My wordpress blog and my drupal site are almost invisible and they still get tons of automated spam. Also, because of the complexity of wordpress and drupal, I do not have the feeling I am in control. The systems are too complex and too much time is needed to learn to customize them and to eventually do some plug-ins. Still, if you do not want to make a custom CMS, wordpress is probably the way to go, but be prepared for the spam.
-vlastimil (January 09, 2012, 06:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I absolutely do not want a custom CMS. I want something out of the box that is flexible and well known. That way, I can perhaps just hire someone at some point to take care of things if I need. Custom? Nope. The learning curve is simply too expensive.

Hmmmm

“The world today has 6.8 billion people… that’s headed up to about 9 billion. Now, if we do a really great job on new vaccines, health care, reproductive health services, we could lower that by perhaps 10 or 15 percent.”
Spoken like a true eugenicist!  He wants to kill 15% of the global population through vaccines.  His Foundation has already been responsible for forced vaccinations at gunpoint, so I suppose this isn’t any new surprise.-http://www.truthistreason.net/bill-gates-foundation-buys-500000-shares-of-biotech-terrorist-monsanto
--- End quote ---

Well that source clearly has zero credibility or reason. Not a good start for the anti-bill side :-\-Eóin (January 09, 2012, 06:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
I agree entirely.

The rethorics used by that site gives it zero credibility in my eyes. They don't list decent sources, and spin a lot of crap on hear-say... there might be valid points hidden there, but it drowns in the tinfoil hat insanity. I have no doubts that monsanto are pure evil, it's easy reaching that conclusion by seeing how they act as a corporation. But equating biotech with "bio terrorism"? Come on, I expected you to be a bit more intelligent than falling for that.

There's plenty of reasons to be wary of biotech, but some of the sites you link seem like fanatical nutters. Makes me sick.

-f0dder (January 09, 2012, 06:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I'd just say that I'm willing to bet that if you put in the time to do the background due diligence checks, then it wouldn't sound like tinfoil hat insanity. But yeah... If you haven't checked into things, it comes off quite nutty.

It's important to check facts because pretty much every source out there tends to freak out a bit and exaggerate. e.g. Fox News recently reported some flat out lies about Jesse Ventura. They never did any fact checking, which is pretty irresponsible journalism for a major network (or very good propaganda -- depends on how you want to view it). (See in the spoiler for another example.)

More off-topic, or at least off the tech topicRegarding killing 10~15%, well, that's a misrepresentation -- which is why I say do the due diligence -- and what Gate is actually saying is that he wants to reduce the growth of human population. You can view the video on Ted.com. So, that's an exaggeration. Albeit, less of a sin than the complete lies you might get on Fox, but still a sin.

As for equating bio-tech with bio-terrorism - it is. Rats and other test animals that are fed those bio-weapons go sterile in 3 generations. But don't take my word for it. Go out, check the facts from different sources, do the due diligence in verifying as much as you can.

Perhaps you're feeling sick because of GMOs? ;D :P (Sorry -- couldn't resist that one -- it was way too open~! :D )

I totally understand why you'd feel that way. I used to think the same. I thought the whole organic food thing and all that stuff was just marketing drivel and stoned hippies blabbering on about Gaia and whatever.

I just got interested in the topic, and started looking into it more and more. After checking as much as I could and verifying as much as I could, I was unable to escape from the conclusion that GMOs are biological weapons. They're simply that bad.

Remember... These things are specifically and intentionally designed to produce toxins/poisons. That's not spin. That's what you'll get from looking at the company's literature. From there on in, at every turn, it only gets worse.

I don't expect you to believe me. I can only hope that you'd look into it for yourself. I'm willing to bet that at some point you'd likely reach much the same or similar conclusions as I have.

* New host
-Renegade (January 08, 2012, 11:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Where are you hosting now?  Are they a windows only shop?  And how fast are you looking at moving?

I ask because I host a windows and a centos server on liquidweb.com.  They're good, very helpful, and the cool thing about it is that I'm not locked into either/or.
-wraith808 (January 09, 2012, 07:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm at Softlayer. They do dedicated servers, so... Not sure... I have to move to get a VPS.

At the moment, I'm working on moving everything on one server to another just to consolidate them. That way I can drop the old server, and save on those costs. Then get a VPS (or another server) and move everything from the other server there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version