ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Lost My Faith - Need New Religion - Need LAMP Help...

<< < (2/6) > >>

Renegade:
Hmmmm

“The world today has 6.8 billion people… that’s headed up to about 9 billion. Now, if we do a really great job on new vaccines, health care, reproductive health services, we could lower that by perhaps 10 or 15 percent.”
Spoken like a true eugenicist!  He wants to kill 15% of the global population through vaccines.  His Foundation has already been responsible for forced vaccinations at gunpoint, so I suppose this isn’t any new surprise.-http://www.truthistreason.net/bill-gates-foundation-buys-500000-shares-of-biotech-terrorist-monsanto
--- End quote ---

Well that source clearly has zero credibility or reason. Not a good start for the anti-bill side :-\

[edit]Also oops didn't realise this thread was more for the technical advice so I'll stop dragging it OT? Sorry :-[
-Eóin (January 09, 2012, 06:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

OT Diversion/Indulgence:

Unfortunately, that site is pretty accurate. It really only sounds utterly insane until you actually do the due diligence and read up on the plethora of references. THEN, and only then will things start to make sense.

I'd seen that Ted.com video before, and read that stuff before... I put it aside and was willing to "ignore" it because "Bill's a good guy and a philanthropist". We all know that I've been very pro Microsoft and pro Bill Gates. However, In the past few weeks I've also been doing some research on eugenics (not something that I particularly want to get into here or anywhere -- it's repulsive) and, well, let's just leave that alone entirely.

I've probably done too much research on Monsanto as well. They are utter evil. I've posted what I think their products are here:

http://cynic.me/2012/01/06/gmos-are-bio-warfare-lets-call-them-what-they-are/

When you search and type in "monsanto", you will get as one of the recommended search terms, "monsanto evil". You can follow through and do some due diligence on things, and you will scream inside. Well, unless you don't really actually do any reading or any of that. It's simply not possible to put them under a microscope and not see the Devil laughing at you.

Anyways... Yeah... Lost faith entirely.

The question I would ask, is what are BG's intentions for the purchase? It could be construed as an endorsement of their actions, true ... However, it could also be an attempt at gaining some manner of steerage/control of what they're doing in the hopes of tempering it with a less homicidal form of reason.
-Stoic Joker (January 09, 2012, 06:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, if he were going to actually do any good there, he's buy the company and burn it to the ground. There are no "good" uses for biological weapons.

Anyways... Looking for a new platform. Nice and easy to use. One that has no bio-weapons in it. :P

I'm so utterly disgusted that I am willing to settle for less (within reason -- I need to be able to manage things) if that comes with freedom, e.g. GNU GPL.

So, anything along those lines -- please advise. I've pretty much always run Windows servers, and the last time I ran a Linux box was forever and a day ago, so I'm totally out of touch with the latest and greatest.

I'll not get into the MS evil part but let's discuss about LAMP migration and other stuff.

Domain registrar :- Namecheap.com and Gandi.net, gossimer or any other enom based registrar is okay. Just double check if you're thinking about any other registrar because most of them are godaddy re-sellers. Also note that UK or eu based registrars are more expensive and costs 2$ extra for same domain price+ additional for features which you get free from most of the US based registrars, so avoid EU registrars if you have large number of domains in queue. I don't think moving small biz and commercial domains to non-us host is going to make sense, I mean SOPA is against freedom of speech, not commercial content or small biz. So upto you to decide..
-mahesh2k (January 09, 2012, 07:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've heard those 2 echoed elsewhere multiple times. I think I'll look into them. The thing about Hover.com was that they have a system to help automate moving domains there, which means less work for me. :)

Server OS : There is a lot of documentation available for CentOS and UBuntu, Suse. I've invested more time with centos and suse.Ubuntu is going to be next if any client comes with such request. Start by installing VM with one of these distros in it. Break things in VM before doing anything on live site.
--- End quote ---

I always think of Ubuntu as a desktop OS... I suppose I should look at that as well. (I just don't want to have to drop to the command line all the time for everything... yeah... I'm a tad lazy there.

CMS: Wordpress is fine and gets work done quickly compared to drupal and joomla, I found these two sucking my time for even simple things. You can use drupal or joomla if there are complex apps but other than that for simple blogs, static sites and form based sites wordpress is enough.
--- End quote ---

Thanks. I think I might migrate some sites to Wordpress. I've seen some icky, dirty stuff in it that drove me nuts, but it seems to work ok and get things done well enough for static sites and blogs.

I'm really quite concerned about the CMS. They're a nightmare if you get them wrong. They're a dream if you get them right. So, this will be my PRIMARY concern as I'll be spending most of my time with the CMS.

Like for an email server, you set it up, do a tiny bit of maintenance, and it's done. Same for the OS. Most of that stuff is automated. The CMS? You need to get your hands dirty no matter what. I just want to be productive.

EMail: I think google apps for domain is fine and you get enough stuff that you need for typical mailing tasks.If you have too many domains to deploy then better to use external service like google apps because using your server is going to be waste time during maintenance and server transfer. In case of google apps all you have to do is change MX records in new VPS or server to fetch mails.
--- End quote ---

I'm HEAVILY leaning towards Google apps here. I can always add in an SPF record for my own IP addresses for mail...

Host: I find it odd to suggest anything against softlayer because they're popular and known for their service. It's just that there are some glitches with them these days. I know rackspace(and their VPS division slicehost), knowhost are some good VPS hosts.
--- End quote ---

Hahahah~! Yeah... Hard to beat Rackspace. It's also hard not to beat their prices~! ;D

I've had nothing but good fortune with Softlayer, so I'm a bit reluctant to leave there.

I've not heard of Knowhost. I'll look into them.

My 2 cents.
--- End quote ---

Thank you for those 2 cents~! :D I figure if I can get a dime or two, I'll be perfectly set. ;D :P

40hz:
Just to add something else to think about: this article on Nginx.  8)

Renegade:
Just to add something else to think about: this article on Nginx.  8)
-40hz (January 09, 2012, 08:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was reading on Nginx earlier today. My thoughts were either Nginx or Apache, but I really don't know enough about running different CMSes on top of them to make an intelligent decision.

I'm leaning towards Drupal... but really have no clue -- need to do a lot more reading still. :(

40hz:

I'm leaning towards Drupal... but really have no clue -- need to do a lot more reading still. :(

-Renegade (January 09, 2012, 10:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Might want to talk to Mouser about that when you get a chance. He had a ... um ...bit to say about Drupal.

Also check out this and this DC forum thread.

Note: the first link's discussion is pretty old, but it's been updated over time. Last posts to it were in April 2011.

Luck! :Thmbsup:

Also please keep us updated on what you discover/decide/do?

I've got a project coming up later this year where I'll need to spec a CMS. So any feedback from anyone who is currently doing that sort of thing would be invaluable to me. I'm not so proud I won't let somebody else take up point position - and possibly take a bullet as the result. (They call that "doing field research" BTW.  ;D )

8)

superboyac:
Hmm...yeah, that is disappointing.  I, too, like to give Gates the benefit of the doubt most of the time because his humanitarian efforts, by quantity and $$ alone, is probably the greatest in the history of the world.

But it's hard to defend anything Monsanto related.  Hopefully, he can use his influence to prevent them from some of their bullying and unethical practices.  But you never know anymore.  I'm cynical enough to sour on even Gates at this point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version