ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Kopimism - a newly-formalised religion

<< < (4/7) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Hmm...I think I'm going to go back to declaring myself a Rasta-Judeo-Presbyterian-Islamic-Taoist-Bhuddist-Wiccan. And maybe do a quick LLC filing for a new faith-based organization. Something like The First Congregation of the Divine Revelation and Celestial Harmony. (Which resonates at 40hz in the frequency spectrum - in case you hadn't already guessed. :P)-40hz (January 08, 2012, 01:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Um... Any chance of just whittling that down to just Wiccan something?? It's just that the Pagan, harmony with nature types have always struck me with being a much safer (on the bloodthirsty scale) option. Not saying the others are necessarily "bad" (history has already covered that...), I just have a few "comfort level" concerns. ;)

So...anybody interested in becoming a member of my new clergy? Reasonable rates! And, this month only, we're running a special on elevations to the rank of bishop. 50% off through January 31, 2012. -40hz (January 08, 2012, 01:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well shit, i guess if you're having a sale...

40hz:
Any chance of just whittling that down to just Wiccan something?? It's just that the Pagan, harmony with nature types have always struck me with being a much safer (on the bloodthirsty scale) option.
-Stoic Joker (January 08, 2012, 03:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well..if you're gonna push then you'd need some sort of church militant wouldn't you? Wicca doesn't have much truck with that sort of thing.

And you're correct. About the only two religions that are demonstrably benign are Wicca and Buddhism. "Not by your words, but by your deeds, shall your true nature be known."  (Bravo! Where did you study intro theology?) :greenclp:

So...anybody interested in becoming a member of my new clergy? Reasonable rates! And, this month only, we're running a special on elevations to the rank of bishop. 50% off through January 31, 2012. -40hz (January 08, 2012, 01:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well shit, i guess if you're having a sale...
-Stoic Joker (January 08, 2012, 03:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heck! For you it's free since we know each other already. (And I need you to keep your mouth shut about some 'stuff' you've been privy to.) ;D

Shades:
Although I don't see any use or excuse for religions, I don't think that these are (in itself) not so bad.

The problems with religions start with the ego of the people that are a (few) step(s) higher in the religious "food chain". Suddenly everybody needs to be convinced that their idea(s) are the only truth(s) and act according to their wishes.

However, truth is a vague concept at best and in my experience only (quantifiable) facts can be used to form truth that anyone can agree upon. To be honest, I truly don't care about your (mis-)conceptions of me needing to have an afterlife and serving whatever deity for eternity.

Sounds all like a dictatorship to me and I can have all that right now in this lifetime by moving to North Korea where a former deity recently passed away but granted NK time with his heir (according to their own state television).

40hz:
Hmm...I think I'm going to go back to declaring myself a Rasta-Judeo-Presbyterian-Islamic-Taoist-Bhuddist-Wiccan. And maybe do a quick LLC filing for a new faith-based organization. Something like The First Congregation of the Divine Revelation and Celestial Harmony. (Which resonates at 40hz in the frequency spectrum - in case you hadn't already guessed. :P)

That way I can (at my discretion) take offense at anything anybody says or does to me - and demand protection under constitutional and international law.

So...anybody interested in becoming a member of my new clergy? Reasonable rates! And, this month only, we're running a special on elevations to the rank of bishop. 50% off through January 31, 2012. 

Don't delay! ;D
-40hz (January 08, 2012, 01:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ha! +++1
Here in this state you need at least 3 people to start a religion.
Don't know about other places.
-cmpm (January 08, 2012, 01:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds like a variation of the logic in Lewis Carrol's The Hunting of the Snark:

"Just the place for a Snark!" the Bellman cried,
As he landed his crew with care;
Supporting each man on the top of the tide
By a finger entwined in his hair.

"Just the place for a Snark! I have said it twice:
That alone should encourage the crew.
Just the place for a Snark! I have said it thrice:
What i tell you three times is true."
--- End quote ---

;D

TaoPhoenix:

It's definitely a deep double satire on the nature of copyright and the nature of religion. "It's God's Will that I do X, and you can't me." And the almost unbelievable reverse corruption surrounding copyright "post a song and go to jail".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version