ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

At last, KeyNote done better :)

<< < (3/7) > >>

tranglos:
Import from the old or from the new one?-tranglos (January 04, 2012, 10:17 AM)
--- End quote ---
From KeyNote-NF. Not sure if they are compatible enough.
-Tuxman (January 04, 2012, 10:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Right, I should have understood that in the first place :) I'd say give it a try. I really don't know if KeyNote NF changed the file format in any way.

Tuxman:
It has been changed, but I don't know if this affects import functionality:

To implement some of the new features included in KeyNote NF I had to extend sligthly the format of KeyNote (.knt) files. All new elements are optional so that new version can open without problems a file corresponding to version 1.6.5. Also, with KeyNote 1.6.5 it is possible to open a file created with a later version, but in this case, if the file is saved, the alarms and information about checked nodes will be lost.
--- End quote ---

TucknDar:
Looks very good. Would love a discount, though ;)

rjbull:
I won't be registering it, since I do think the KeyNote design (can I say this? "KeyNote design"?) is quite obsolete - just compare how the search works in RightNote vs. Evernote or even CintaNotes.-tranglos (January 03, 2012, 01:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Do you think that "live search," "search as you type," "walk down the list" or whatever you want to call it, is a good match to a tree-structured notekeeper?  Aren't they rather different paradigms?  If you do a live search in a tree-structured outliner, what should you show?  Only the nodes that match, or their parents that might not, and in either case, temporarily lose the tree-structured organisation?

tranglos:
Do you think that "live search," "search as you type," "walk down the list" or whatever you want to call it, is a good match to a tree-structured notekeeper?  Aren't they rather different paradigms?  If you do a live search in a tree-structured outliner, what should you show?  Only the nodes that match, or their parents that might not, and in either case, temporarily lose the tree-structured organisation?-rjbull (January 09, 2012, 10:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes :) I think you should show a flat list of matching items. There really isn't anything else you can do, and this solution has the obvious downside of losing the hierarchical "context", but when you design things, you're always making trade-offs.

Whether it's instant search or a "press Enter to go" filtering, it's a very powerful feature that helps you narrow down the scope of what you're looking at and concentrate on the results. So IMO the trade-off is totally worth it, especially that the flattening of the tree is only temporary.

In fact, apps like RightNote (all serious note-takers) need instant search (or filtering) in two places: not just for the text of the notes, but for the tree as well. I have a couple of KeyNote files with thousands of nodes in the tree (archives of code snippets, for example). It's next to impossible to locate one node among so many; even harder to find multiple nodes that would match some imagined filter.

I only wish I had realized all that 12 years ago :)

In RightNote and other database-backed applications there is the problem of performance. You just can't beat direct memory access for speed. With a large database, no matter how indexed, a true instant search may not work very well, as the search will introduce a perceptible delay. So it might be perfectly OK to wait until the user finishes typing the search terms and hits Enter - that way there is only one small delay instead of many (in-between pressing each key).

(Sorry for the late reply. TheBat! filters messages containing "KeyNote" in subject into a separate folder for me and I haven't looked in there in a while.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version