ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Web designer needed to convert a Joomla template to a WordPress theme

<< < (2/4) > >>

tranglos:
you really sure you don't want to start fresh with a new wordpress theme?
-mouser (January 03, 2012, 02:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, I'm sure, as long as I expect to like the way the site looks :)

One free theme I liked was Fusion from digitalnature, but it hasn't been updated for WP 3, so no menus and I'm really not sure I want an unsupported theme that may become entirely unusable when WP internals change some more.

Of course not even WordPress is quite suitable for what I need, I wrote about it at length before, but there just aren't any CMS-es that make it convenient to publish software and do other stuff as well. I do like how WordPress goes the extra mile to make working in it pleasurable, plus it's widely supported and there's plenty of free, quality add-ons for it (unlike Joomla, where almost everything is commercial), so my only hope is sticking with WP.

tranglos:
There is a very simple three click solution to your problem in Joomla - open the Article manager, click on the Paramters button (top right) and turn of article titles linkable.
-Carol Haynes (January 03, 2012, 02:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you, Carol, but article titles are linkable all over the world, as well they should be. But that doesn't solve the problem at all, because someone out there is always going to link to a specific article on your site, linkable titles or not. And when visitors arrive, they will see the article but no useful navigation to related pages. How would you like to click a link in an application review, go to the app description page and see no links to download or screenshots?

I could manually add the necessary navigation links to each and every posted article, but CMS-es were invented to relieve people of such tasks in the first place...

tranglos:
I think a widely used theme like Suffusion can mimic most if not all of the requirements with little or no coding. Thematic framework can do the same with some coding.
-rgdot (January 03, 2012, 02:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

I really don't mind how it is done. The thing is, I absolutely cannot do this myself. I don't have the time, or the skill (at all), or the patience, or really willingness to learn how to do it, which is why I'll be happy to buy the service from someone who can. If all it takes is installing Suffusion (nice theme, yes) and editing all the CSS to match the existing design (while making sure it works well with modern browsers and all that), then I'll love it.

Carol Haynes:
There is a very simple three click solution to your problem in Joomla - open the Article manager, click on the Paramters button (top right) and turn of article titles linkable.
-Carol Haynes (January 03, 2012, 02:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you, Carol, but article titles are linkable all over the world, as well they should be. But that doesn't solve the problem at all, because someone out there is always going to link to a specific article on your site, linkable titles or not. And when visitors arrive, they will see the article but no useful navigation to related pages. How would you like to click a link in an application review, go to the app description page and see no links to download or screenshots?

I could manually add the necessary navigation links to each and every posted article, but CMS-es were invented to relieve people of such tasks in the first place...

-tranglos (January 03, 2012, 02:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

If someone provides a link to the page it will go to the page - that will have the full navigation. It is only links to articles that go to an article specific page that are causing the problem. On your website there is absolutley no need to have the title of the article as a link because it would not provide any further information to the visitor - it just takes you to another copy of the same article.

I have never come across this as a problem with Joomla before - it may be a problem with the template.

JavaJones:
There are cheap overseas companies out there that will do this for probably $500. I have no specific recommendations and haven't worked with any, but if you don't go that route I suspect it will be at least $1000, if not more.

Personally I think you'll run into issues with any system you choose. Wordpress is likely to be *less* flexible and able to "host simple software downloads" (because it's designed to be a blogging platform first). So I'd recommend asking in Joomla forums how to solve your problems rather than taking time and paying money to switch to another system that may cause as many - or more - headaches. But I *do* understand that you like the way Wordpress seems to work better than Joomla and while I'm ok with Joomla, I'll grand Wordpress is seemingly more friendly. I do think part of this is just due to lesser capabilities though.

Joomla's menu/linking system *is* one of the most confusing things about it in my view, but it's also fairly powerful. In your case I would suggest doing things a bit differently, by making an additional menu module that appears dynamically when you're on a product page. Have *only* the download and screenshot links (and any other app-specific links) appear in that menu. You could put it below the main menu, or on the right-hand side, or even above the article. Frankly I don't think deeply nested cascading menus are all that good an idea in general. If you really want to do it that way I'm sure there's a cascading menu component that will keep state per-page for you or do something like "open cascading menu to current nav position always".

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version