ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Web designer needed to convert a Joomla template to a WordPress theme

(1/4) > >>

tranglos:
OK, so I need to convert this Joomla template:

http://ethervane.com/

...to a WordPress 3.x theme. Not a simple task, I know! This is a commercial template (from RocketTheme) that I absolutely love and want to keep using, but I need to kick Joomla out the window. There is nothing remotely similar for WordPress.

The template has some Joomla-specific functionality (e.g. convert page to PDF) that I don't need. The content will be different and the site will live on a different domain. I just need the WordPress site to look as close as possible to what you see at the link above - mostly just the CSS, the menus and colors, and the graphical elements; the layout will be somewhat different in WordPress of course.

The WP theme must be compatible with the latest WP 3.x release, which I suppose means supporting WP widgets and the new custom menus, among other things. The theme should be two-column and fluid, so no fixed-pixel widths, please. Must be able to accommodate images (screenshots). The site will have lots of static pages, which is relevant to the design, because there are a lot of WP themes out there that totally fall apart when the listing of pages grows too wide. (Note the fly-out menus at the top right; they are very small now, but they'll have plenty of items.)

I don't care about the inconsequential issues like whether the search box has rounded corners (in fact, I don't like rounded corners very much, they're too Apply :-) or where it is positioned.

I will of course deliver the Joomla theme source to work with.

I am serious about needing this, but I have no idea how much a job like this may cost. If I can meet the price, I will be positively ecstatic to have it done for me. So if you are or know a web designer who could do this, please pm me or email me at marek then the at sign then tranglos.com.

(In case anyone wonders what's wrong with Joomla... well, everything is wrong with Joomla, but here is a good starting point: Go to the main page linked above. Click "New products" on the left. Click "ActiveHotkeys" underneath. You'll see "Download" and "Screenshot" links. This is all as it should be. Now forget about this and just click the "Ethervane Activehotkeys" title link on top of the page you're at (or, for a better moment of Zen, click any title link on the homepage). Now look at the navigation menu in the sidebar and figure out how to get to the Downloads page from here. That's what's wrong with Joomla: it's a big honking CMS with a totally broken navigation, and its authors seem entirely uninterested in rectifying this.)

tranglos:
I feel like I have posted a plea very much like this before, years ago. Well, here's hoping!

mouser:
you really sure you don't want to start fresh with a new wordpress theme?

rgdot:
I think a widely used theme like Suffusion can mimic most if not all of the requirements with little or no coding. Thematic framework can do the same with some coding.

Carol Haynes:
There is a very simple three click solution to your problem in Joomla - open the Article manager, click on the Paramters button (top right) and turn of article titles linkable.

This is an option for clicking on the titles of blog style articles when only summaries are presented and not relevant to what you want to do. By the way you can also apply this on a per article basis in the edit screen look in the Parameters (Advanced) section.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version