ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Upgrading RAM amount; please help me choose.

<< < (5/11) > >>

Renegade:
Ugh.  I always do this...I always play a little too much with things.  My curiosity is going to be the death of me, I'm sure of it.
-superboyac (January 03, 2012, 11:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've learned to do this:

* Figure out how many minutes the job will take.

* Budget that many hours.
Seems to work pretty well. :D

Stoic Joker:
I've learned to do this:

* Figure out how many minutes the job will take.

* Budget that many hours.
Seems to work pretty well.
-Renegade (January 04, 2012, 12:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

I too use this method. It has served my well.

Shades:
I also just noticed that when I rebooted and the part which shows all the hard drives coming up...that is usually very quick, this time it had to wait several seconds to detect the each drive.  Made me think I have a motherboard problem.
-superboyac (January 03, 2012, 07:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Have you tried disconnecting your SATA cables (both ends!) and reconnecting them? Thermal creep is a real issue with any kind of connection and as SATA connectors are flimsy by default...

Lets just say that I fixed a lot of PC's here (in Paraguay where in summertime it hits 40 degrees Celsius at 10:00 in the morning) just by re-attaching connectors. The only disk where I never gave done this fix is one that is mounted vertically with the power and SATA connectors on top. Whatever thermal creep is able to do...it is fixed by plain old gravity.

And yes, even the deluxe SATA connectors that click onto their connector are not safe from thermal creep. Maybe in the cold north this is different, but over here these are not as stable as you would expect.

Ath:
The only disk where I never gave done this fix is one that is mounted vertically with the power and SATA connectors on top.
-Shades (January 04, 2012, 08:51 AM)
--- End quote ---
OT:
That's the only position that's not allowed/recommended by most manufacturers :-\

superboyac:
I'll give that a shot, Shades.

The other program I'm suspecting is itunes.  that program has a very intrusive installation and uninstallation, and I've had to reinstall it a couple of times lately.  This is exactly why I can quickly hate apple products, if only they didn't make tablets and phones the "feel" the best.  Itunes really sticks its nose in all sorts of places on your computer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version