ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Upgrading RAM amount; please help me choose.

(1/11) > >>

superboyac:
I'm looking to beef up my RAM to 16GB (I currently have 4GB).  Can you guys help me choose the proper sticks to get?  I have no clue about the technologies involved, what's compatible with what, what to avoid, etc.  All of my computer specs are still here, when you guys helped me last time:

My Computer Specs

Thanks!

4wd:
TBH, I'd think it would be more cost effective for you to upgrade the CPU, MB and RAM.  You'd need to buy 4 x 4GB DDR2 RAM since you only have 4 RAM slots and that will not be cheap.

Here's the only 4GB modules, (single), I could see on Newegg, (apart from Registered Server which are even more expensive), under a $100:
G.SKILL 4GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
G.SKILL 4GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 4GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

Now compare to 16GB of DDR3, (5 kits under US$100):
Newegg

RAM upgrade:
4 x 4GB DDR2 800, (slower than what you currently have) = ~US$280

Replacement CPU, RAM, MB:
CPU:                 Intel i5-2500K @ US$219
16GB DDR3 RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB @$US79
Motherboard:     GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 @ US$122
Total: ~US$421

You'll also get the benefit of SATA6, (debatable), and USB3, (definitely).....I know what I'd choose :)

You could save a bit by using a slightly lower spec i5, eg. the i5-2300 @ US$185

According to Passmark CPU Lookup, the i5-2300 is about 1800 points higher, (5592), than your current Q9400, (3823), in pseudo-performance.

techidave:
Remember that if you change the motherboard, you will most likely have to reinstall Windows and everything else.  I have tried before to just update the drivers but haven't had much success in that area.  Since  your machine is 3 years old now, then updating some of the hardware would give you more benefits than just replacing the memory.

4wd:
Remember that if you change the motherboard, you will most likely have to reinstall Windows and everything else.  I have tried before to just update the drivers but haven't had much success in that area.-techidave (January 03, 2012, 04:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've changed motherboards and CPUs a few times without having to reinstall Windows usually doing, (for XP):
1) Boot into Safe Mode and remove any motherboard/gfx drivers with DriverCleaner, (any hardware specific also sometimes, eg. SATA card)
2) Change the hardware.
3) Boot from the XP CD and perform a Repair-in-place.

System normally comes up afterwards and then the new motherboard/gfx/hardware drivers can be installed.

Last time was at the end of November going from an nVidia motherboard + integrated gfx + Athlon II 235e to an AMD 780 based motherboard + Radeon HD4850 + Athlon 7750 - it all worked perfectly afterwards.

With Windows 7 it's even easier since it carries all the basic drivers for most hardware with it, just uninstall any specific motherboard/gfx drivers, change the hardware and boot.

It is always better to do a full install in the long run though.

superboyac:
What if I just double up to 8GB?  I don't really want to do a major upgrade at this time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version