ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Configuring Directory Opus for Fun and Profit

<< < (5/10) > >>

Innuendo:
Two more things I recommend if u have the time.-hpearce (January 05, 2012, 08:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Forum users here *always* have the time for a good recommendation.

1) go thru the OPTIONS/various SETTINGS thoroughly and you will get a better idea of what you can do.  I had to go thru a minimum of 3 times to start grasping it all.
--- End quote ---

This is so true! There's already been a couple times I wished DOpus would do certain things a different way only to discover that there was a setting I overlooked on previous runs through the options. The ability to search the options panel is a huge help, but sometimes it takes a couple tries to put in the right keyword for the search to bring up what you want.

Dirhael:
While this isn't a customization tip, this functionality is perhaps the one I use the most...

While in a lister, type the following:

* : (this selects all files and folders with the name you type in after the :).
* * (displays only those files and folders with the name you type in after the *.). I find this especially useful while in flat-view!
* ? (runs any command (cmd) in the current folder. You can hit CTRL+ENTER to insert the name of the focused file). I use this with certain command-line tools, or with simple batch-renaming tasks as I do it faster this way than I would with the GUI.
* = (this searches for whatever you type in, starting in the current folder).
I used to be a Total Commander user for years, until I purchased Dopus 8. Since then, I find it hard to be productive at all without it :)

EDIT: Also, whatever you do, make sure you add a keyboard shortcut to toggle flat-view (Command: Set FLATVIEW=MixedNoFolders,Toggle)! So useful!

tomos:
^ another view one I use a lot:

Toggle Thumbnails and Details views with one shortcut:
Set VIEW=Details,Thumbnails

EDIT// note the Shift+[letter] no longer works in Dopus 11 :(
so you will want to use a different shortcut
EDIT2// ^Listary uses the Shift+T shortcut here for searching current folder - I use Shift+F for flatview - that still works without Listary popping up, so not sure what's going on. Not a Dopus problem anyway, I dont think.

tomos:
Sorting files:

these arent buttons - they're just shortcuts so AFAIK they cannot be exported:
They're especially helpful when you want to change the sort in Thumbnail or List modes, but are also nice and zippy in details.
Each one will toggle ascending and descending i.e. just press shortcut again.

Sort by Filename Alt+1
Set Sortby=Name SortReverse Toggle

Sort by Last-Modified Date
Set Sortby=MODIFIED SortReverse Toggle

Alt+1 (by name) sorts A-Z initially (a on top of the list - ascending I guess)
Alt+5 sorts with most recent date to top initially

I got these on the dopus forums years ago, cant remember from who - the actual shortcuts were based on an earlier filemanager

Innuendo:
Thanks, Dirhael & tomos. Your posts are prime examples of why I started this thread. They each contain functionality that I can see myself using every day & while I'm sure I will run across that functionality in the docs or on the forums, who knows how long I'd have to delve before finding it?

Thanks for the tips!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version