ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Any issues about burning long filenames in Nero? (or any burning software)

(1/3) > >>

superboyac:
I know that in the default setting, Nero will warn you when burning really long filenames, and will actually bring up a dialog to truncate the names and such.  Now, I don't know much about all this stuff about ISO and Joliet standards, but is it really a big deal if I set Nero so that it will just allow me to burn long filenames?  To help you guys offer me advice, let me just say that if it's a matter of compatability, I don't really care.  For example, if the only reason not to burn long filenames is because I won't be able to read the disc in Windows 95 or something like that, I don't care.  I'm either going to read the discs from Windows XP or the next more recent version, so it doesn't really matter to me.

I ask because it seems like all burning software make an issue about it, but it seems like I have no problem with really long filenames when they're on my hard drive, so why should it matter if it's the same on the burned media?  As always, thanks for the advice.

nudone:
i've used long file names for years. can't remember any problems - not even at other peoples computers when i take my cds to them.

mouser:
the only trouble is, if i remember correctly, at least once in the past, i had 2 long filenames which had same beginings.  result was a cd with 2 identically seeming filenames on it - one of which could not be retrieved for this reason.  it may also cause trouble if its truncating a directory name, so be wary.

superboyac:
mouser, when you say it couldn't be retrieved, do you mean you tried retrieving it from the same operating system you burned it from?  Because, if they were able to exist on the hard drive without any problems, why couldn't it be retrieved from the cd (assuming the OS was the same)?

mouser:
the problem was that when the truncation occurred there were two files on the cd with the same name in the same directory, so the OS could only open 1 of them - the other was inaccessible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version