ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

If you had a medical implant would you rather it be closed or open source?

<< < (7/7)

Deozaan:
I watched it.

Renegade:
I watched it.
-Deozaan (January 07, 2012, 03:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Did it not hit the nail on the head?

40hz:
I watched it.
--- End quote ---

-Renegade (January 07, 2012, 10:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh yeah. With a sledgehammer.

Showed it to my GF. She works for our state's social services department. She's directly involved with public medical, mental health, and elder-care programs. She said she's run into similar cases where somebody, through no fault of their own, was in danger of being allowed to "go down" for something totally beyond their best efforts to get corrected.

So far, she's always been able to get things straightened out for these people.

But she (being both sensible and kind-hearted) lives in dread of the day when some bit of bureaucratic idiocy or government red tape results in a case being sent to her - and ends with someone dying - because she was unable to help that person out.
 :(

Stoic Joker:
I watched it.
--- End quote ---

-Renegade (January 07, 2012, 10:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh yeah. With a sledgehammer.

Showed it to my GF. She works for our state's social services department. She's directly involved with public medical, mental health, and elder-care programs. She said she's run into similar cases where somebody, through no fault of their own, was in danger of being allowed to "go down" for something totally beyond their best efforts to get corrected.

So far, she's always been able to get things straightened out for these people.

But she (being both sensible and kind-hearted) lives in dread of the day when some bit of bureaucratic idiocy or government red tape results in a case being sent to her - and ends with someone dying - because she was unable to help that person out.
 :( -40hz (January 07, 2012, 11:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

My wife works for a doctor, and has had to go to bat for patients on many occasions because the insurance company/MediCare didn't want to shell-out for a necessary procedure.

Honestly, I think that the futuristic, techy angle only serves to soften the fact that the problem already very much exists today. If it isn't "Cost Effective" for you to live, due to perceived age, health, or "quality" concerns ... Accounting will decided if it's time for you to die.

40hz:
If it isn't "Cost Effective" for you to live, due to perceived age, health, or "quality" concerns ... Accounting will decided if it's time for you to die.
-Stoic Joker (January 08, 2012, 12:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Bingo! Ask any patient over 70 how much treatment gets suggested once a doctor learns your age.

Happened to my mother at a walk-in clinic over the holiday. She felt very tired and was having a little difficulty breathing. The doctors at the walk-in didn't offer to do much at all for her until they discovered (from the billing person who walked in on my Mom's examination) that my father had sacrificed big time to make sure she would have excellent medical coverage when she got older.

Once the clinic saw she was privately insured (and covered to the nines) they pulled out all the stops: EKG, chest X-rays, blood tests, actually started listening to what she was saying...you know the drill.

Before that, they figured she was just another nice little fuzzy-headed 84-year old lady on basic Medicare and the "D" prescription plan. Since little she needed would have been covered under those, they were planning to send her home with instructions to "get plenty of rest and take some aspirin and an over-the-counter cough remedy with an expectorant" for her symptoms.

Didn't these doctors take an oath when they got their licenses?

Pretty sickening.  And a pretty common occurrence too, I've been told. >:(

Turned out my mother was in the early stages of a rather nasty pneumonia infection. If it went untreated another few days, she probably would have ended up hospitalized according to her regular doctor when she finally got in to see him the following week. As it was, it took two prescription tries before the correct antibiotic (Biaxin) was identified for the strain of infection she had.

Good thing she was covered. Many people who aren't, aren't quite so lucky.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version