ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Hosters are impossible. (A.k.a. get me what I want, not what I don't want!)

<< < (2/5) > >>

Eóin:
I'd be pretty sure it does support using your own domain name, but do email just in case, they are very quick to reply.

worstje:
I have emailed with them, and besides being a wonderful quick response, they offer good service too. They made me a very nice offer, and while I don't want to post it on a public forum (for fear of everyone going to them being all 'but X got that deal!') I can say it is more than generous on their part. I just have a few more (financially inclined) questions for them, and once those are answered I'll likely order right away. :)

Once I get set up and everything, I'll let you guys know how well they work out in practice. :)

Edvard:
If you have the domain and it's only for email, why not host it yourself?
Spare box, home email server software (hmailserver, Axigen, Zimbra, et al.) an ISP that won't mind a bit of extra traffic (that part might get sticky, many ISP's don't like you serving...), and Voila!

Downside is, you are your own customer service at that point, much easier to pay somebody to do the housekeeping for you.
Just a thought...

wraith808:
Anyone able to help out with suggestions for good hosters and such?
-worstje (December 29, 2011, 08:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have my own server/service that I run, though I don't really advertise because I'm not in the business of hosting; I just do it for myself, referrals, and clients of my other services.  If what you're doing doesn't work out, I can give you exactly what you want, and you can pretty much decide what you think it's worth.

worstje:
@Edvard:

I did consider that, but there's just too many little things that make it not worth it. For one, my interwebs is horribly finicky and has the most random times to die on me, nevermind the fact my ISP likes to change my IP a bit too often for my liking. Second, I simply don't trust myself with it. And third, I'm too lazy. At some point, those last two things mean I will screw up, and then I'll find out I did something to ruin my backups or messed it up so that I'm in an IRL bind.

The way I see it, some people waste in a night boozing what I'll now spend for a years worth of no worries. Totally worth it. My only problem is (was?) that it involves paying for stuff I don't care for nor intend to use, and to me that is a waste of money.

@wraith808:

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. It does look like I'll be able to give GeekISP a go in the new year, and we'll find out in due time how it really works out. So far, they've given me zero reason to worry, so I don't think I'll be asking anything from you. :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version