ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best E-mail Client

E-mail client recommendations

<< < (2/10) > >>

40hz:
For business use I'm pretty much forced to use Outlook because so many of my clients are on Exchange and use Outlook specific features. What's that old saying about the mountain and Muhammid?

After trying just about everything out there (separately and sometimes in parallel) I'm reluctantly forced to say, from where I'm sitting, Thunderbird is about as good as it gets for a general purpose mail client. Which is not saying much since I'm not particularly crazy about any email client. As as result, I try to use webmail as much as possible these days.

Don't much care for webmail either. But at least I don't need to worry about it crashing as much or unexpectedly corrupting my message store.

wraith808:
As as result, I try to use webmail as much as possible these days.

Don't much care for webmail either. But at least I don't need to worry about it crashing as much or unexpectedly corrupting my message store.
-40hz (December 28, 2011, 02:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1

cyberdiva:
I have used Mulberry for more than a decade, and I can't remember it ever crashing or corrupting my message store (perhaps in part because I use IMAP).  I still feel that it handles IMAP better than any other email client I've tried (and I've tried quite a few), and it offers some features that I haven't found elsewhere.  Still, it hasn't had any substantial development in five or six years, and its approach to graphics and unicode is frustratingly primitive.  For those reasons, I can't really recommend it even though I love it, and I continue to look for an email client I'd like better. 

JavaJones:
I wonder how big the market for desktop email clients really is at this point, or will be in years to come. On sites like DC I see relatively frequent requests for recommendations and just as frequent (or more) laments that the current crop of options is mediocre at best. There seem to be very few modern, up-to-date, and still supported options, commercial or otherwise, so it must just not be a lucrative market. I suppose Outlook is king of the heap and leaves only scraps for everyone else...

Unfortunately I have nothing to contribute here, I just use Gmail/Google Apps.

- Oshyan

40hz:
@All the software developers and authors @ DC:

Out of curiosity - just how complex and difficult an undertaking is it to write a decent e-mail client? I'm guessing fairly difficult considering how relatively few of them there are - and how...uninspired they seem to be?

Seriously. I'm very curious about that. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version