ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

NoteFrog Pro (clipboard information manager) - Mini-Review

<< < (20/27) > >>

allen:
I'm not a huge fan of evernote anymore, but it still is a good program.
-superboyac (May 24, 2013, 04:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

They just added reminders to the Web and Windows Phone app. Hook is set so much harder...

superboyac:
I'm not a huge fan of evernote anymore, but it still is a good program.
-superboyac (May 24, 2013, 04:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

They just added reminders to the Web and Windows Phone app. Hook is set so much harder...
-allen (May 24, 2013, 08:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
true, the wp8 evernote app is pretty nice.

IainB:
2013-12-16 1436hrs: Current NF v2.5.5beta testing.
An interim release to satisfy a few user requests.
Allows insertion of file links in item panel via holding CTRL key when adding an item via the item menu or via drag and drop.
All stack menu item exports "Save active stack List Items as" (text file, Browser-searchable, self-decrypting) are now based on the active stack list (searched) item content rather than the entire active stack content.
- @berry

--- End quote ---

I had been trialling NF v2.5.5beta, and posting to the forum at http://notefrog.com/forum/index.php
However, that forum seems to have been down for "Maintainence" (sic) for several days, so I shall notify @berry via email.
Meanwhile, here is a list of the NF v2.5.5beta issues that I have raised:

Major issues:
None to report at this stage.

Minor issues:

* 1. Persistence of ini/preferences:
The rule is that, if NoteFrog is installed into a location other than where it was previously located, where there is no existing ini/preferences file present, it will default to initial factory settings. It requires the ini (prefs) file in order to set previously defined user preferences correctly. If none is present, it uses defaults.
The ß test indicates that two conditions could cause this rule to be broken:
(a) Upgrade/installation of a new version of NF.
(b) Abnormal termination of NF from flat battery in a laptop.

This will likely only have an adverse effect for users who want NF to be set to "always ON" for capturing from the clipboard.
For example, by nature, and when online, I am an information junkie. That's why I use two clipboard managers simultaneously - Clipstory and CHS. The thing is that, at the point when one belatedly realises that one would like to have captured a lot of the content one has just been churning/recycling in and out of the clipoard, it is too late to recover that "lost" data if your clipboard material has not been saved as you go.
So, I normally use Clipstory (for the detritus) in conjunction with CHS - i.e., in case CHS is not always ON (because it does occasionally occur that the user has to get CHS to re-establish the Clipboard chain).
For the purposes of NF ß testing, I simply add NF into the mix, and if any issues arise with NF, then it is unlikely to adversely affect me.

* 2.Making the "always collect clips" a default could be a good fix to the above rule being broken: (i.e., lack of persistence of ini/preferences).
Any users who did not want it always ON, would need to disable it one time only.

* 4. "Skittery" mouse misbehaviour: (issue now resolved)
Playing around with this latest NFß, I had noticed that my mouse cursor was skittering around most annoyingly as I was typing, leading to my typing bits of text in at random different places in the body of text I was working on - e.g., in a discussion forum post. This behaviour was repeatable when NF was running, and ceased when it was not running.
However, this behaviour has since gone away, after several complex Windows updates, so is probably nothing to do with NF per se.

Earlier notes: (On the latter item, I had assumed spellchecker was always on when in edit mode, but it is only on after you enable it)

IainB:
Update to opening post 2013-12-16. Minor changes, plus this special note:

* Update  2013-12-16 - check out the xTea en/de-cryption:
Go to the Menu | Stack | Save Active Stack contents as a self-decrypting HTML archive.
I had not previously trialled this. It looks like a very handy encryption feature, unique to NF. It employs built-in encryption of clip text into self-decrypting HTML files. You need to try it out to understand what it is doing. It is a very nifty feature, and could be an excellent way of communicating notes in highly secure form.
This feature uses the xTea encryption method - available also from HT Consulting in a FREE standalone program, refer FrogTea.
If you have already downloaded that program from there, download it again as the file has been updated 2013-01-30 (now a smaller size of 133Kb), though it bears the same version number.

dcwul62:
@IainB

up front - thanks for the review!
just a small tip...

1. the current release seems to be 2.6
2. on http://notefrogblog.com/ it says
"
NoteFrog V3 will be released early next year and will not support Windows XP. XP will have been deprecated by Microsoft by then. One reason for NoteFrog deprecating XP support is the improvement to the clipboard handling available since Vista. No more broken clipboard chains!
"
I have not found v3 yet, so it is still under development I suppose.

3. the link to the forum: there is nothing except 'Maintainence'

=

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version