ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

NoteFrog Pro (clipboard information manager) - Mini-Review

<< < (17/27) > >>

rjbull:
I had forgotten to update the review with notes on this version. Must do.-IainB (July 03, 2012, 09:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
You might like to review the NoteFrog forum thread NoteFrog v2.2 released, where berry states this of the current production release of NoteFrog:
for performance reasons, the size of any single stack is limited to 25,000 items (we generally see significant degradation between 10-15K on fairly powerful machines.)
--- End quote ---
He's made the stack size limit user-definable in the latest beta, but I haven't tried that yet.

IainB:
@rjbull: Thanks. I took a look at the forum. I see what you mean. You've been busy!    ;)
By the way, you might have noticed that I have posted a request to have them provide an RSS feed for that forum. Would make life much simpler.

rjbull:
I took a look at the forum. I see what you mean. You've been busy!-IainB (July 07, 2012, 04:32 PM)
--- End quote ---
I felt like the only beta tester.  Almost nobody else is posting in the forum.

I really like NoteFrog's live search, but still have reservations about it as a truly heavy-duty professional tool.  Things like the way its "sub-windows" behave as if they belong to separate applications, and numerous niggles about keyboard shortcuts, leave me slightly uneasy.  Using the Bible as a test file meant I ran headlong into a formerly unexpected limit and that further undermined my confidence.  I must add that though an "electronic bible index" might be a nice thing to have, in practice, if I look back at the current awareness bulletins I used to make for work as a "real world" example, they probably totalled (in about 23 years) the equivalent of some 2000 - 3000 separate "notes."  So, realistically, NF could easily have coped.  Also, it's still quite a young project, and Berry has been responsive and quick about most of the points raised.  It will be nice to see HTML clips, but he hadn't time to get them right before the current release.

I have posted a request to have them provide an RSS feed for that forum. Would make life much simpler.-IainB (July 07, 2012, 04:32 PM)
--- End quote ---
I hardly ever use RSS!  I have the NoteFrog forum set as a hotsite in WebSite-Watcher, so I see which sections have new postings.

IainB:
I hardly ever use RSS!  I have the NoteFrog forum set as a hotsite in WebSite-Watcher, so I see which sections have new postings.
-rjbull (July 11, 2012, 03:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
I've not used WSW. Being lazy, I just feed everything into the feed aggregator (Google Reader), and that is set to filter out preceding duplicate post titles from the view.
So, instead of seeing all the new comment posts in a forum discussion thread, I just see the latest one.
This gives:
(a) a lot less clutter,
(b) notification that something has changed in that discussion thread, and
(c) the link to follow to the last post, from which you can scroll backwards to review what led to that last post.

IainB:
I have belatedly updated the review in the opening post, to align with the current version 2.3.
Removed out-of-date bits about the earlier ß esting, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version