ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

NoteFrog Pro (clipboard information manager) - Mini-Review

<< < (10/27) > >>

rjbull:
I didn't see that exact strings  or "Whole Words Only" were necessarily implicit  in your search-IainB (January 11, 2012, 01:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
Perhaps not, but I used to search Derwent World Patent Index via the Dialog host system.  With tens of millions of complex records to search, precision was vital.  Dialog has very advanced search features, but you usually have to specify wildcards as such.  I sometimes find Google's "over-wildcarded" beahviour irritating.  I often want an exact match, and would rather have no matches than a load of false drops (maybe I should check its advanced search feature again).

Had you specified that (exact or "Whole Words Only") as a default requirement in CHS?-IainB (January 11, 2012, 01:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
I don't remember so doing.  It was only when writing my post with the Boolean search that it struck me that Boolean search seems to imply whole words.

Do you really want it as a default in NF? (I wouldn't - I'd want it as a defined option, as in InfoSelect. And it would be "nice to have" in CHS.)-IainB (January 11, 2012, 01:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'd accept it being on an Advanced Search tab, rather than the default.

berry:
Thanks Ian. I will look into the "frog-croak". Since the other beta testers are not experiencing any problems either, I'll probably be firming up for a V2 release, thus the "croak" fix may not make it into V2.0 unless it's a very simple fix.

Thanks again for your input.

cheers

Edit. The sound is only played within the clip collection routine, which requires a "Clipboard notification" message sent by Windows. However, duplicate clips - that is, another copy of the previously collected clip, are not collected, so it's possible a message is being received from Windows but NoteFrog is not saving the item. Some applications send a clipboard notification when they close, so, for instance, if you had copied data from a webpage and later closed the browser, NoteFrog would receive a clipboard notification and recognize a duplicate.

I will look into moving the "sound" so it occurs after the check for a duplicate.

IainB:
However, duplicate clips - that is, another copy of the previously collected clip, are not collected, so it's possible a message is being received from Windows but NoteFrog is not saving the item. Some applications send a clipboard notification when they close, so, for instance, if you had copied data from a webpage and later closed the browser, NoteFrog would receive a clipboard notification and recognize a duplicate.
-berry (January 11, 2012, 12:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thought I should mention this, because it relates to the accumulation of duplicate text and image clips, which could lead to potentially unnecessarily bloated stacks:
NF will (correctly) not copy a duplicate of the last clip to be copied, but it apparently will copy a duplicate of any other clip captured before the last one. (Is that correct?)
Is there some way this duplication could be avoided/prevented in NF?

I think this same issue was addressed during the last 12 months in CHS. Now in CHS I think text clips are not duplicated, and there was also an improved CRC check of image clips to avoid making duplicate clip copies of those.

berry:
NF will (correctly) not copy a duplicate of the last clip to be copied, but it apparently will copy a duplicate of any other clip captured before the last one. (Is that correct?)
Is there some way this duplication could be avoided/prevented in NF?
--- End quote ---

It would be possible. It's never been reported as an issue. Would need to give some thought as to the action taken when a duplicate was detected and skipped, such as not to confuse the user and cause additional issues.

cheers

IainB:
No major issues to report with NFP ß 02.
The search and scroll operations still feel nice and fast with 1,927 items in the stack.

Minor problems:

* When I start NFP from the Quicklaunch icon, it shows up in the systray and closes as minimised to the systray - which is what I expect it to do. However, it doesn't seem to start with windows even though I have selected that option, and when I put it in my startup folder to force it on startup, it started OK, but did not show in the systray and disappeared on close (though the process was still active).
* After entering the Registration Code, the menu item "Go Pro - Purchase NoteFrog Professional" is greyed out, but when you restart NFP, the same item has been restored to black (i.e., is not greyed out).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version