ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

NoteFrog Pro (clipboard information manager) - Mini-Review

<< < (6/27) > >>

rjbull:
Do you intend to offer something like EverNote does, so that one can paste part of a Web page into NoteFrog and have it look reasonably like the original, in particular, with links intact? -rjbull (January 03, 2012, 04:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

We tried this with ClipGuru. It was problematic primarily due to the different methods each of the various browsers utilize to render the content - Firefox renders as an approximation of HTML, IE as rich text, etc.

The maintenance of the capability across the browser base was impeding our ability to improve the base functionality of the core program. It's not currently on our implementation schedule, but we will revisit it.-berry (January 03, 2012, 06:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Note my modifier "reasonably"  :)  Neither EverNote nor AllMyNotes seem to give a perfect rendition of a page.  However, would it be possible to have a plain text format that at least includes the links?  I.e., stripping out HTML tags but preserving URLs?

berry:
Note my modifier "reasonably"  :)  Neither EverNote nor AllMyNotes seem to give a perfect rendition of a page.  However, would it be possible to have a plain text format that at least includes the links?  I.e., stripping out HTML tags but preserving URLs?
-rjbull (January 04, 2012, 04:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

It is definitely something we will consider. As mentioned on the site, we built this tool due to an unsatisfied need and use it ourselves. A url feature like you mention would be usefull. We'll add it to the top of the features list.

cheers

IainB:
I installed and started the NoteFrog v2ß for testing today, and am feeding back via email to @berry.
I could post the feedback here if anyone is interested.

rjbull:
@berry:

Are you intending to add internal hyperlinks, from note to note?

Please, what's the function of the narrow column on the right of the titles window, see screenshot?

I've been wondering - not very coherently - about the titles list again.  I presume that NF works like EverNote and CintaNotes in that the only "organisation" of the note stack is by date.  That means that "live search" won't look quite right, because the results won't be in alphabetical order.  If the main and recommended way to access data is via the search feature, would it make sense to relegate the titles list to a popup, and to make the search feature more prominent?  That would be a radical departure from the existing look, of course.  It would also make NF a little like a Windows form of Memory Mate for DOS (a wonderful program sold first by Brown Bag and then by Broderbund), an indexed free-form notekeeper, very fast at finding things.  Many of us liked its clean simple interface, preferring it to the InfoSelect of the same era.  MM loaded with a screen blank except for the main controls at the top.  Apart from moderately powerful Boolean search, you could step through your note stack note by note.  See screenshots...  ahhh, that takes me back!  And to make the screenshots, I found my copy and ran it in a console under Vista Home Premium!

berry:
@berry:

Are you intending to add internal hyperlinks, from note to note?-rjbull (January 06, 2012, 04:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

That capability exists now via a rightclick menu from the items list "Save link to item" - paste the link into an item via the rightclick item "Insert saved item link"

Please, what's the function of the narrow column on the right of the titles window, see screenshot?
--- End quote ---

Originally to display a "Notation". Unused at present.

I've been wondering - not very coherently - about the titles list again.  I presume that NF works like EverNote and CintaNotes in that the only "organisation" of the note stack is by date.  That means that "live search" won't look quite right, because the results won't be in alphabetical order.  If the main and recommended way to access data is via the search feature, would it make sense to relegate the titles list to a popup, and to make the search feature more prominent?  That would be a radical departure from the existing look, of course.  It would also make NF a little like a Windows form of Memory Mate for DOS (a wonderful program sold first by Brown Bag and then by Broderbund), an indexed free-form notekeeper, very fast at finding things.  Many of us liked its clean simple interface, preferring it to the InfoSelect of the same era.  MM loaded with a screen blank except for the main controls at the top.  Apart from moderately powerful Boolean search, you could step through your note stack note by note.  See screenshots...  ahhh, that takes me back!  And to make the screenshots, I found my copy and ran it in a console under Vista Home Premium!

--- End quote ---

Items may be sequenced by item number = date created, or by date updated via an "Option". Within a list, items may be grouped into one of four sub-groupings, top, high, normal and bottom.

We've found that grouping items with the most recently updated at the top along with the sub-grouping capability, provides reasonably good access for non-search conditions. A layout as you describe would be possible and was even considered since the original capability we were seeking was an InfoSelect like search/retrieval. Once a search in complete, it's possible to step through the list of matching items, one at a time in the resulting list. Elimination of the list would buy some space and possibly even a speed improvement for very large lists. It's something we haven't considered so far.

cheers,
berry
01/06/2012

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version