ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

BitTorrent - why bother?

<< < (7/9) > >>

brotherS:
I got uTorrent after reading this thread and after a fresh Windows reinstall and have not felt the need to get back to Azureus yet. I do miss Azureus just because it worked damn well for me and I had it set up to perfection, with plugins, network tweaks and all.. but everything I've thrown at uTorrent so far has downloaded just fine, with totally acceptable speeds, so for now I'll stick with uTorrent. Not to mention uTorrent starts in less than two seconds and I can easily continue to use my computer with it running while Azureus would take up to 20+ seconds to start and would take my connection hostage pretty much, if I remember correctly.
-moerl (April 04, 2006, 07:32 PM)
--- End quote ---
Then you didn't set it up correctly: http://azureus.aelitis.com/wiki/

moerl:
Trust me, I did set it up correctly. I just never used bandwidth throttling/limiting or whatever you want to call it. You could say it's obvious it would hog my connection then, but hey.. I like to dedicate 100% of my bandwidth to downloading when I download something. I don't use that feature with uTorrent either though and web access seems faster. If I remember correctly, I could actually use the web just fine with Azureus running and downloading, but things were noticeably slower. Anyway.. doesn't matter. I'll stick with uTorrent for now. Thanks.

f0dder:
Well, if the difference is that Azureus needs a shitload of tweaking to work decently and µTorrent works out of the box... *tongue-in-cheek*

Carol Haynes:
That's my feeling with Azureus too ... µTorrent was a lot easier to setup and is more selfexplanatory to use.

I get the feeling that Azureus can do anything you want (including ironing and making the supper) but it loses for me in the overkill of obscurely termed options. (I know they are probably technically correct terms but if you don't know what an option means I don't want to wade through pages of explanations and google searches to find a real English version!)

f0dder:
What I really like about µTorrent is that the developer, ludde, is a nice guy who's very open to suggestions. You can usually find him on IRC/EFnet in #winprog. Torrents (and the .torrent file) can be moved from your "in-progress folder" to "download done" automatically, very suitable for automatic extraction tools or remote checking (if you can't do remote desktop but have ftp access, it's still easy to see if a download is done).

I don't think it has "auto-launch .torrent files from <this folder>" yet, but ludde would probably not mind adding it (it's a feature I use a lot in rTorrent on my linux box - fire and forget like). Oh yeah, and there's a web-based control interface coming.

All this while *still* keeping it LEAN_AND_MEAN :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version