ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Reddit Leaving GoDaddy because of SOPA Support

<< < (9/11) > >>

Stoic Joker:

I think that with the quick reversal, and the prior history of good behaviour, this isn't one of those things.  If they dragged their feet in the mud and had to be pulled screaming, then I'd say so.  But not in this case.  The RIAA - yeah, I can see that.  The MPAA - yeah, I can see that too.  But this...?

-wraith808 (December 24, 2011, 11:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not so sure. The quick reversal bothers me. It feels like the New Hotness way of doing things. "Let's announce a position! Ooh, we're getting boycotted! Okay, let's announce the opposite position!"

Trouble is, it's far from clear that the *second (and good)* position will stick any better!

In my opinion, we're seeing a new breed of politics. "Announce something, and if the public is too exhausted to shout loud enough, do it. If they do shout loudly then:  reverse it, wait until it becomes Old News, then slide a weaker form of it in later." -TaoPhoenix (December 24, 2011, 12:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1 Nailed it!  :Thmbsup:

TaoPhoenix:
Heh Thanks Joker!

And now for something a little different.

(To the tune of Lola, but borrowing some inspiration from Weird Al)

A bill was introduced in the House the other day,
Where they wheel & deal over Scotch & Soda, S-o-d-a Soda,
I found a congressman looking at a strange new bill
I asked him it's name and in a Wheezing Voice the Rep' said it's
SOPA - SO-SO-SO-SOPA...

The geeks are laughing a bit saying it's never been done,
A bill that breaks the net for every corporation,
oh yes it's SOPA - SO SO SO SOPA

Well I'm not dumb but I can't understand how they can
pull down any website they please and label it Banned,
SO-SO-SO-SOPA.

mahesh2k:
Here is good news for india as per CNN IBN... after 6th Feb Supreme Court ordered indian ISP's and social networks to censor following type of content - nsfw, non-religious content, content that makes fun of religion, content that makes fun of politicians and any other protest worthy content. Total 31 social network from around the world got this order from court. Good bye freedom. Welcome medieval age, lets respect idiots.  :down:

Renegade:
Here is good news for india as per CNN IBN... after 6th Feb Supreme Court ordered indian ISP's and social networks to censor following type of content - nsfw, non-religious content, content that makes fun of religion, content that makes fun of politicians and any other protest worthy content. Total 31 social network from around the world got this order from court. Good bye freedom. Welcome medieval age, lets respect idiots.  :down:
-mahesh2k (December 24, 2011, 11:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hold on... Am I reading you right:

nsfw -- self explanatory
>>
non-religious content -- Anything that isn't religious???? This doesn't make any sense. Not even remotely. The entire Indian Internet must be religious?
>>
content that makes fun of religion -- Self explanatory
content that makes fun of politicians and any other protest worthy content -- self explanatory

mahesh2k:
non-religious content -- Anything that isn't religious???? This doesn't make any sense. Not even remotely. The entire Indian Internet must be religious?
--- End quote ---
Minority faiths like pagan are considered as superstitious beliefs and they'll be taken care of under anti-superstitious belief bill. Atheism has negative impact on people as per indian thinking. Bombing in the name of religion is considered as atheist act, not religious as per these spiritually religious folks. You can't beat their logic. This whole stuff is actually to get control of the internet just like SOPA. This is to stop some of the protests against politicians and movements against corruption that are shaking government here. As 95% or more indians think that spying on people for ads or getting manipulated by government or religion is good, so it's hard to educate this country.

6th feb, end of free internet here.

http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comments/npyuc/end_of_atheism_and_free_thinking_in_india/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version