topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 5:53 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: RunIt 1.0  (Read 3041 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
RunIt 1.0
« on: December 19, 2011, 04:16 PM »
RunIt 1.0 Is a simple tool to add a program, batch file, shortcut or other file, to the Registry Run key for the Current User. This is the key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

You may download from this page:

http://www.favessoft.com/downloads.html

The most convenient usage is to put a shortcut to RunIt in the SendTo menu. You can right click a program or shortcut and select RunIt from SendTo.

To avoid collisions it creates a Value in the Run key named "RunIt_Program" where Program would be the base name of the file or shortcut you added.  As example, if you right clicked on notepad.exe and selected RunIt from SendTo the Value added to the Run key would be "RunIt_notepad" with the full path to notpade.exe as the string value.

I suspect the programs in Registry Run are run slightly before those in the user's StartUp Folder.  I have a batch file that sets the Desktop Work Area and I used RunIt to add it to the Run key. Hopefully the new work area will be in effect for the apps started using StartUp Folder.

It's just a convenience. I haven't as yet added a mechanism to remove entries. But the entire path to the Registry key is in the Readme for manual edit using RegEdit.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: RunIt 1.0
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 09:46 PM »
Note, there are some free registry tools already available to open Regedit to an existing key.  For example RegScanner. See the docs for "/regedit" command line switch:

http://www.nirsoft.n...tils/regscanner.html

I wrote a .cmd file just to make it easy to open the Run key to delete old entries.

basically it's just Regscanner /regedit regkey

in my case

regscanner /regedit HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

(all one one line)

Also there's a SysInternals from 2006(regjump.exe) but I believe RegScanner doesn't get redirected to SysWow64 registry entries on 64 bit systems.