ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

[SOLVED] Windows XP system clock losing (lots) of time.

<< < (2/4) > >>

4wd:
I should have mentioned I've changed the battery but the fact that the RTC doesn't lose time at all and that Windows system time is correct at boot and starts losing time from that point would imply that the RTC isn't the problem.  If it was I would expect to see the time incorrect from the moment the system boots.

Also, from all that I've read, Windows doesn't use the RTC once it's booted - it's then down to system interrupts.

Just another note: I have two of these systems, with the same hardware, (MB, CPU, RAM, case + PSU) - one runs XP Pro the other Win7HP x64.  I swapped the batteries between them - the W7 system runs fine and the XP system still loses time.  The problem didn't move with the battery.

@Ath: Yes, real hardware.  ZOTAC Mini-ITX Geforce 8200 iGFX, Athlon II 235e & 4GB DDR2-800 - see it here.

EDIT: Just had a thought, when I wake up tomorrow, (err, later today), I'll boot it from a PE disc and see what happens.  But now, I really should be asleep  :)

Carol Haynes:
What time server is being used on your system - try changing to an alternative. I had a problem once where the time was set correctly and then suddenly the time changed and it was a TS causing the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314054

Also check your time zone of set correctly (Control Panel - International).

Last thought: if not the CMOS battery have you checked the stability of your PSU?

Stoic Joker:
Have you tried running Also, from all that I've read, Windows doesn't use the RTC once it's booted - it's then down to system interrupts.
-4wd (December 19, 2011, 07:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

True, have you tried running w32tm /reset to force is to recalculate the offset?

4wd:
What time server is being used on your system - try changing to an alternative. I had a problem once where the time was set correctly and then suddenly the time changed and it was a TS causing the problem.-Carol Haynes (December 19, 2011, 08:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

I now get it to sync to au.pool.ntp.org every ten minutes, in that time it can lose 2 minutes.-4wd (December 19, 2011, 06:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

So it uses a random NTP server every time.  I have used pool.ntp.org, (even more random), but I have also just turned the resyncing off - it still starts losing time from the moment it's booted.

Also check your time zone of set correctly (Control Panel - International).
--- End quote ---

One of the first things I checked.

Last thought: if not the CMOS battery have you checked the stability of your PSU?
--- End quote ---

Thanks, that made me think of something of something else, a long shot.....but still a shot.

True, have you tried running w32tm /reset to force is to recalculate the offset?-Stoic Joker (December 19, 2011, 08:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't seem to have the /reset switch on w32tm, /resync might be what you mean?

Crap!  I think I found the problem  :-[  At some point I must have disabled or forgotten to enable the HPET and WDRT in BIOS when playing with the battery.

I've just reset the BIOS and the RTC/OS difference is back to being under a second every 5 minutes.

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I need to go back to tech school  :-[

Maybe I can just chalk it up to a "Senior Moment" now I've turned 50.  :P

BTW, can anyone point me to something that says what the WDRT actually does, (apart from being a watchdog)?

Addendum: Spoke too soon, instead of steadily losing minutes per hour like before, it now appears that the XP system clock can lose hours overnight.  This is usually accompanied by the inability to access the system via RDP the next day - this is starting to look more like some software has gone haywire.  I guess it's down to a OS reinstall....oh well, didn't have anything planned today.

4wd:
Well, decided to switch to shotgun methodology and changed the battery again, (even though the RTC doesn't lose time), removed a PWM fan controller I installed about the time it went nuts and restore the system to approx. 2 months prior.

Back to thumb-twiddling to see what happens.

Computers....who'd have 'em?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version