ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

[SOLVED] Windows XP system clock losing (lots) of time.

<< < (4/4)

4wd:
I did some checking, and it looks like it may be driver related. Especially the chipset. Any chance Windows Update decided it knew best when you weren't looking?
-worstje (January 07, 2012, 07:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't have WU set to Auto on this machine, normally just Notify only.  But of course that doesn't preclude me from clicking OK in a burst of stupidity.

And as far as nVidia chipset drivers go, nothing would surprise me if that turns out to be the problem - one of the reasons I try to avoid their chipsets now. (Addendum: As if to prove a point their website won't even give me the XP drivers, it keeps sending the Vista/7 ones.)

Thanks for that, I'll download the latest from nVidia then remove the current ones with DriverCleaner and see what happens.  If that doesn't work then I'll go back to my previous regimen of nlitening the install and never updating past SP3.  It worked that way for years without a problem.

Tenacious 'R' Us  :)-cranioscopical (January 07, 2012, 07:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'd never make any money doing repair work - I'd never know when to just say 'Screw it!' and give up. :D

4wd:
I did some checking, and it looks like it may be driver related. Especially the chipset.-worstje (January 07, 2012, 07:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Guess what?  You hit it in one, after an image restore I removed the nVidia driver and then reinstalled the latest WHQL XP drivers I could find, (which wasn't from nVidia' site).  No more clock problems since.

Definitely no more updating for this machine now, service disabled.

Thanks for the clue worstje  :Thmbsup:

worstje:
I'm glad you figured it out!

I also want to express my thanks to Cranioscopical for his community spirit; little surprises like the one he sent my way are what makes this community great! :-*

4wd:
I also want to express my thanks to Cranioscopical for his community spirit; little surprises like the one he sent my way are what makes this community great! :-*
-worstje (January 23, 2012, 05:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

+2  :Thmbsup:

(Senior moments and all)   ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version