ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software install monitor.

<< < (3/3)

tslim:
I realize this is holy war material, but to date I've seen the best performance out of Revo.  That doesn't mean I've ceased the search for something better  :P.
-barney (December 22, 2011, 08:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Uninstaller programs are quite easy to compare and if you want to test one feature, you should come up with a result relatively quick and clear, it is either done or fail... no abstraction in between. So I don't find it kind of a believe that one need in order to choose one among them.

If you are only concern about the ability in cleaning or removing installed application, choose Total Uninstall. No other competative program can come close to its capability. The most obvious difference is its performance in creating snapshot. I have switched from other uninstaller to TU mainly because of speed and its excellent report of software uninstallation.

If you are comparing uninstallers which is snapshot base and non-snapshot base, then YES, you ought to "believe" that the latter would work. For me, I find it funny to believe that there is a generic or universal way in cleaning up installed application. Think about it, an installed application has been used for a long time, gone through several upgrades and might be integrated with other newly installed application in certain way... a complex history before you decide to uninstall it... man you have to do a good backup first.

4wd:
Fresh from BetaNews: 10 tools to remove stubborn Windows applications

#4: Comodo Programs Manager, (Download Crew link), might be suitable but take note they mention it may not run on x64.

Direct link to Comodo' site: Comodo Programs Manager

cmpm:
Ashraf at dottech.com just now has an article on Comodo Programs Manager.

http://dottech.org/freeware-reviews/26017/cleanly-uninstall-programs-and-monitor-changes-made-during-software-installation-with-comodo-programs-manager/

barney:
Running Win7 Ultimate, 64-bit.  Testing Comodo. 

Seems to be working OK, but only tested for a short while, two (2) or three (3) days. 

Since it installs as a service, it pretty well overcomes the shortcomings of both live tracking systems and before and after snapshots, at least in theory. 

One (1) thing it seems to lack is an inventory page listing all changes for a particular install.  There is an inventory page, but it doesn't seem to list everything.  It does, however, list registry changes and install location, as well as source location of the install file. 

Haven't tested the make install feature, as yet.

The Drivers & Services section does not show either an install or an update date - both would be nice to have - nor does it show an install source, which would make it much more informative/helpful when trouble shooting machine/software issues.

The Windows Features is convenient, I suppose, but no more than a convenience.

No updates since installation, so can't speak to the Windows Updates section.

madcoder:
As an alternative you can try Install Monitor (www.mirekusoft.com). It works by monitoring software changes in the background and handles reboots. It includes a contents page with file and registry and an list of autoruns by program.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version