ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software install monitor.

<< < (2/3) > >>

Steven Avery:
Keep us informed.  I always felt snapshots were a kludge.  
Successful real-time monitoring makes more sense, as long as it works.

Keep in mind that automated reversals can have "issues". Say a .dll was overwritten during the install to a newer version, then if it was not saved in a special hold area to come home ... you can not simply delete the new one.  What does Revo try to do ?

Steven

barney:
Haven't yet encountered that situation with Revo, so I cannot really say.  I think it moves replaced files to a protected storage area, but I don't have any hard evidence to that effect.  However, I have looked at the install logs, and they cover a lot of territory you'd not normally expect.  One thing Revo suggests is to run the newly installed program for the first time while the tracking system is still active - not something normally done with snapshots - so it can track changes initially made by the software after installation.  I like that  :Thmbsup:.

tslim:
The best way is to work with snapshots (before-after)

I use Total Uninstall Pro and can recommend it.
http://www.martau.com/

Kind Greetings
-MrZebulon (December 19, 2011, 06:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

I am a long time user of TU but I dislike their recent change of upgrade policy... a one year free update? I think it should be a free upgrade within the same major version no of the software.

and

the author is a bit paranoid about forum spammers... all forums in the world got spams, there is no absolute way to block them. I have had difficulty in logging in TU's forum for months. That basically make me give up visiting their user forum to suggest new features and so on.

majoMO:
Successful real-time monitoring makes more sense, as long as it works.-Steven Avery (December 22, 2011, 10:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

In general it can't handle well when installer needs to reboot. One serious disadvantage with these real-time monitoring app..

Keep in mind that automated reversals can have "issues". Say a .dll was overwritten during the install to a newer version, then if it was not saved in a special hold area to come home ... you can not simply delete the new one.  What does Revo try to do ?
-Steven Avery (December 22, 2011, 10:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Here the fault is from the installer and/or their own uninstaller. Snapshots based uninstallers don't have any action to modified files - and don't should do that in fact (they aren't backup applications).
ZSoft Uninstaller and Total Uninstall authors always adviced to uninstall firstly using the owner uninstaller. Such step avoids annoyances.

One thing Revo suggests is to run the newly installed program for the first time while the tracking system is still active - not something normally done with snapshots - so it can track changes initially made by the software after installation.  I like that  :Thmbsup:.
-barney (December 22, 2011, 11:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

With snapshots based uninstallers is always highly recommended to do that also - the uninstall is then exhaustive.

barney:
All very cogent points.  But there is still the time element, which can be critical.  And as far as a reboot is concerned, a number of snapshot applications do not cope well.  And several snapshot utils I've used in the past - True was one of 'em, may have changed since then - did not deal well with running the app as part of the snapshot. So far, that has not been an issue with Revo.

I realize this is holy war material, but to date I've seen the best performance out of Revo.  That doesn't mean I've ceased the search for something better  :P.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version