topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:58 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Flood of server hammering after sending out an email. Suspicious?  (Read 3928 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So, check this out.  I set up a private file server.  Nobody knows the address or anything, it's just for me.  I created a user profile for someone, and I emailed him (using gmail pop access) the login information.  Right after that, a bunch of ip's have been trying to get into the server using all sorts of usernames and passwords.  None of them have worked, but I'm wondering...if you send an email, is that just open for the world's hackers to read?  These ip's are all in asia or europe (mostly asia).  Pretty interesting.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Flood of server hammering after sending out an email. Suspicious?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 07:00 PM »
Is this FTP? If so, it is normal. There are thousands of probes daily on just about any service you can setup. My home FTP server gets hit daily by about 20-30 random attempts to login. I suggest securing access by locking down the max number of attempts per 30-60 seconds, max # of accesses/sessions per ip, etc.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 07:01 PM »
Is this FTP? If so, it is normal. There are thousands of probes daily on just about any service you can setup. My home FTP server gets hit daily by about 20-30 random attempts to login. I suggest securing access by locking down the max number of attempts per 30-60 seconds, max # of accesses/sessions per ip, etc.
Cool, thanks.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 12:17 AM »
Running it on a non-standard port will help as well.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 12:35 AM »
The timing is probably a coincidence, but yes - sending email does largely mean your message is available in plaintext across the internet. Even if you and your recipient have encrypted connections to your respective endpoints (smtp for you while sending, pop3/imap/webbased-whatever for him receiving), there's no guarantee that intermediary SMTP servers will do encrypted traffic.

Please don't expose FTP servers to the internet, the protocol sucks and so many of the ftp daemons are riddled with security holes. Set up an SSH server so you can do SCP (there's decent enough Windows GUIs for it), and it lets you authenticate securely via public-key encryption (remember to turn off password-based SSH access, that way you're not bruteforceable).

Oh, and if this is a linux server, install something like fail2ban. It monitors log files for suspicious activity, and firewall-blocks IPs (temporarily or permanently) according to various rules - it's good stuff.

At any rate, on a server that's exposed to the internet, make sure it's NAT'ed to only let the specific ports you need through.
- carpe noctem

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 04:11 AM »
Running it on a non-standard port will help as well.

+1 - A very good recommendation!
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 12:42 PM »
I've got a selection of diagnostic utilities that (frequently get deleted from my ThumbDrive by someones hyper-spastic AV software) I keep in a subfolder of our webserver for quick access. Its come in handy many times (I really hate AV software). Obviously these aren't sensitive files, but it does work in a pinch - depending on your needs.