ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

You like science fiction, don't you? Of course you do!

<< < (10/18) > >>

Arizona Hot:
I have Malwarebytes installed, but as a manual secondary anti-virus scanner. Does it automatically update when it is the primary anti-virus. My primary updates automatically, 5 or 10 times a day (often when I start surfing!) I update Malwarebytes manually about once a week.

MilesAhead:
I only use MBAM Free for scanning. But I find from checking manually that often it updates the database at least a couple of times a day. I always check before doing a scan.

Tinman57:
...Do you want to know the address of the site (and the moral ambiguities of and viral dangers of it's offerings)...?
-Arizona Hot (October 25, 2012, 09:25 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes please - the URL would do fine. Ta.
I am always interested in looking at websites offering books to download.If it looks like a dodgy site, then I won't usually access it beyond the initial exploration.-IainB (October 25, 2012, 07:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Project Gutenberg offers over 40,000 free ebooks: choose among free epub books, free kindle books, download them or read them online.

We carry high quality ebooks: All our ebooks were previously published by bona fide publishers. We digitized and diligently proofread them with the help of thousands of volunteers.

No fee or registration is required, but if you find Project Gutenberg useful, we kindly ask you to donate a small amount so we can buy and digitize more books. Other ways to help include digitizing more books, recording audio books, or reporting errors.

Over 100,000 free ebooks are available through our Partners, Affiliates and Resources.

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

40hz:
I must be in the early stages of my dotage. I've been gradually reading/re-reading all the original Tom Swift adventure stories and enjoying them quite a bit. Once they reach what's been dubbed the "second series" featuring Tom Swift Jr. (1954-1971) they escape (mostly) from their old "boy's adventure story" roots and actually become some decent examples of early sci-fi. They were surprisingly original for the era they came out in even if they weren't Jules Verne novels by any stretch. Innocent, patriotic, occasionally naive, and "strictly boys club" though they were, I find them a nice bit of no-brain fun reading.

From a cultural perspective, these stories were significant in that it made it cool to be a "brain" and a "geek." I think they served as inspiration and a "green light" for a lot of the young readers (like me) who decided they really wanted to do something with science or technology when they grew up. Half of the early personal computer crowd, and a good number of people involved in the manned US space program (back when the US still had one  :sick:) acknowledge being inspired at an early age by these little tales. Not a bad thing when you think about the real technology and innovations many of them were responsible for bringing into this world. Be interesting to see if the generation growing up on Harry Potter and "young fantasy" novels will be inspired to do the same. (If not I guess they can always become wizards. Or maybe hook up with a really cool werewolf, or hottie vampire, and go have adventures battling flesh-eating zombies or something...)

Find summaries and Gutenberg links for the first series here.

The second series  is still under copyright. But very inexpensive used copies can often be found at 2nd-hand bookshops, Goodwill outlets, book faires, or online. I recently picked up a set of six at a local library sale for $4.

Story list for the second series (33 titles) behind the spoiler below.

Story list 2nd series    Tom Swift and His Flying Lab (1954)
    Tom Swift and His Jetmarine (1954)
    Tom Swift and His Rocket Ship (1954)
    Tom Swift and His Giant Robot (1954)
    Tom Swift and His Atomic Earth Blaster (1954)
    Tom Swift and His Outpost in Space (1955)
    Tom Swift and His Diving Seacopter (1956)
    Tom Swift in the Caves of Nuclear Fire (1956)
    Tom Swift on the Phantom Satellite (1956)
    Tom Swift and Ultrasonic Cycloplane (1957)
    Tom Swift and His Deep Sea Hydrodome (1958)
    Tom Swift in the Race to the Moon (1958)
    Tom Swift and Space Solartron (1958)
    Tom Swift and His Electronic Retroscope (1959)
    Tom Swift and His Spectromarine Selector (1960)
    Tom Swift and the Cosmic Astronauts (1960)
    Tom Swift and the Visitor from Planet X (1961)
    Tom Swift and the Electronic Hydrolung (1961)
    Tom Swift and His Triphibian Atomicar (1962)
    Tom Swift and His Megascope Space Prober (1962)
    Tom Swift and the Asteroid Pirates (1963)
    Tom Swift and His Repelatron Skyway (1963)
    Tom Swift and His Aquatomic Tracker (1964)
    Tom Swift and His 3-D Telejector (1964)
    Tom Swift and His Polar-Ray Dynasphere (1965)
    Tom Swift and His Sonic Boom Trap (1965)
    Tom Swift and His Subocean Geotron (1966)
    Tom Swift and the Mystery Comet (1966)
    Tom Swift and the Captive Planetoid (1967)
    Tom Swift and His G-Force Inverter (1968)
    Tom Swift and His Dyna-4 Capsule (1969)
    Tom Swift and His Cosmotron Express (1970)
    Tom Swift and the Galaxy Ghosts (1971)

rjbull:
I only use MBAM Free for scanning. But I find from checking manually that often it updates the database at least a couple of times a day.-MilesAhead (October 27, 2012, 05:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
Do you have to run it as administrator before it will update?  I don't, and the update button is always greyed out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version