ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

You like science fiction, don't you? Of course you do!

<< < (2/18) > >>

MaxEvilTwin:
I also want the Beeb's HHGTTG now...(sigh). (Though I do have it on cassette tape.)
-IainB (December 15, 2011, 05:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

http://www.sadena.com/BBC-Radio/H2G2_old/

JohnFredC:
Put it right up there with such classics as Stand on Zanzibar
-40hz
--- End quote ---

Wow, a reference to Stand on Zanzibar!  That's by John Brunner.  What a book.. had a big impact on me.  Prescient.  Highly recommended.

IainB:
Ahh, bliss!
Been listening to the Foundation and HHGTTG audios... (thanks again!).

Though I dislike "talking books" in general (they usually feel "too slow" for impatient me), I have sometimes enjoyed listening to books being read out loud by people/actors with good vocal projection and clear English speaking voices (I find some accents annoying/distracting).
And I have often enjoyed listening to a lot of Beeb radio plays since age 7 or so, and the above two Beeb audios are definitely examples of well-produced radio plays.

And yes, I do like SF. "Like" is probably a gross understatement in my case. I used to be addicted to SF (and I probably still am). I have enjoyed reading science fiction since first reading HG Wells' "The Time Machine" at age 8 or so.
The time and your life's context when you read these things can be quite significant in your life.
I can't recall exactly, but I think I was about 10 when I first read Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm. They were an introduction to the new ideas/possibilities of what life might be like under tyranny - whether, communist, Fascist, or state control - and they made me very thoughtful on the subject. They also helped me to make more sense of the shortwave broadcasts that I would regularly listen to on our HMV valve radio - especially:

* the world news broadcast by the Voice of America;
* the world news broadcast by the Chinese, in English;
* the world news broadcast by the BBC World Service;
* the world news broadcast by the USSR, in English.
I had asked my mother why the news slant and the words and terms used to describe the same world events were often so different in each case, and she told me that the word I needed for this was "indoctrination", and explained that each of the broadcasters wanted the listener to see the world events through their particular belief system.

Today, I was hurtled back to those times quite by coincidence when I came across a link to this recent blog post (2011-12-21): The Connection Between George Orwell and Friedrich Hayek
I found it a very interesting article, and it helped to put George Orwell's life into a fuller context that made a lot of sense - to me at any rate. I had previously just regarded him as an author, without wondering too much what his beliefs/ideologies were or where he had got his ideas from.

IainB:
I also want the Beeb's HHGTTG now...(sigh). (Though I do have it on cassette tape.)
-IainB (December 15, 2011, 05:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

http://www.sadena.com/BBC-Radio/H2G2_old/
-MaxEvilTwin (December 20, 2011, 09:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
@MaxEvilTwin: I thought I'd already said "thankyou" for this, but I can't see it in the thread.
Thanks again anyway!
I downloaded all those HHGTTG .mp3 files.

IainB:
I was reading this post: Video: How sci-fi fans put Firefly into the FIRE
I knew nothing of the Firefly TV series until I read this. Sounds like it could be intelligent SF.
What feedback do DCF SF fans have about the series? I shall get it on DVD from Amazon if you reckon it is worthwhile.

That FIRE (Foundation for Individual Rights in Education) organisation sounds like a pretty useful assembly of intelligent thinking too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version