ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

You like science fiction, don't you? Of course you do!

<< < (6/18) > >>

daddydave:
This thread inspired me to think of a short story I have fond memories of that I read in high school: The Ifth of Oofth (pdf link). It seems kind of silly now, and there is not much hard science there (not that I would care these days), but I LOVE the sense of impending doom at the end.

app103:
This Foundations find has renewed my interest in something from my childhood, which archive.org also has.

When I was a child, I remember sitting with my grandmother listening to CBS's Radio Mystery Theater.

MilesAhead:
Speaking of sci/fi writers. I just watched another flick about Philip K. Dick. He was giving this speech in France at some Sci/Fi convention in the early 70's.  The woman who accompanied him is giving an interview about it in the documentary.  She talks about how she wanted to disappear because he was rambling this crazy stuff. But here's the funny part. He was talking about reality just being a computer program and if you get deja vu, it was because somebody changed a variable in the simulation. Everyone is wincing in discomfort at these ravings.  But I'm thinking, he thought of The Matrix 20 years before the Wachowski Brothers. Maybe they even saw the speech and got the idea from him?  :)
-MilesAhead (December 29, 2011, 12:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's just another angle on the "dollhouse god" concept, where reality is manipulated by some outside force or entity, as if it were nothing more than a child's toy to be played with.
-app103 (December 29, 2011, 02:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

Kind of like Glass Bead Game or Hercules and his antagonists being assisted and interfered with by the gods I suppose.  But the computer simulation bit was pretty specific. Sure made me think of Matrix. :)

MilesAhead:
An author I enjoyed that wasn't a big name was A. E. van Vogt. I was still in high school when I read The War Against the Rull and Slan. Good action stories. Maybe not that deep. But fun reading.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n:283155,p_27:A.%20E.%20Van%20Vogt&field-author=A.%20E.%20Van%20Vogt&page=1&tag=duckduckgo-d-20

oblivion:
An author I enjoyed that wasn't a big name was A. E. van Vogt. -MilesAhead (December 30, 2011, 05:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
I remember picking up one of his books that had, under his name, "The Slan Man." Sure suggested he was at least a reasonably big name :)

I went through a phase where I'd have read pretty much anything by anyone John Campbell was prepared to put in Analog. Pretty sure Van Vogt fell in that category...

I was also a big fan of Harlan Ellison. Some great titles: things like "The Beast Who Shouted Love At The Heart Of The World" and "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream." (He wrote one of the best Star Treks ever, too.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version