ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Win7 -- to x64 or not to x64, that is the question

<< < (2/4) > >>

Nod5:
rgdot: Good point. Though I don't notice much slowdowns at present on XP when using multiple programs. Hard to say though when I have so little Win7 experience.

cranioscopical: Thanks. I'm only wavering on x64 vs x86 versions of Win7. Shift to Win7 I will either way. Getting a SSD is part of the explanation here. I've read some who advice against moving/mirroring an existing XP install from a regular HDD to a SSD (the claimed problems were related to TRIM ). So if I need to do a clear install, and also will upgrade some hardware, I might as well make the move now.

f0dder:  :) Concise advice!

hpearce: The internal PC components (the ones I'm not replacing) will be ok I think. But some peripheral hardware devices will be trickier.

edit: my plan was to get an OEM copy of Win7 which are either 32bit or 64bit. But when reading up I now see that the retail versions don't only allow reinstalling/moving the license between computers. They also allow switching from 32bit to 64bit (and back if you want) and both versions are on the DVD. http://superuser.com/questions/210433/can-i-upgrade-windows-7-32bit-to-64bit
So, I might get that, test 64bit and still have a fallback if too much hardware won't work.

Eóin:
x64, and never look back.
-f0dder (December 14, 2011, 05:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not since XP 64 bit :Thmbsup:

40hz:
I've seen significant improvements in media streaming and web services when using 64bit vs 32bit Windows 7. You also don't get the occasional hiccups and pauses you sometimes experience when you're pushing 32bit full out.

The time has come. Resistance is futile. Embrace assimilation. 8)

Carol Haynes:
x64 if you can. Never looked back.

If you aren't sure about drivers download the windows upgrade adviser tool and run it to assess likely problems - it will give you a report for both 32 bit and 64 bit upgrade issues:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=20

superboyac:
I've noticed a couple of applications with specific 64-bit builds that run much more responsively and seem faster than the 32-bit counterparts.  One of the most dramatic examples I experienced was Bluebeam.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version