ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Is Clojure the next C ?

<< < (3/3)

Renegade:
"The next C"? What's wrong with the existing C?
-Tuxman (December 13, 2011, 07:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hehehe~! :D

It seems like language enthusiasts are always looking for a new language for one reason or another.

Tuxman:
Oh, yeah, like, "ok, about 90% of all common applications are written in C or a derivative, that's boooooring!"?

Armando:
"The next C"? What's wrong with the existing C?
-Tuxman (December 13, 2011, 07:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
Nothing, really. 1- It's just a title. 2- "Next" doesn't imply that "previous" is wrong.

Armando:
I think it's that lack of innovation/paradigm shift that he's talking about, and without it, it's kind of hard to point to.

At the heart of it, it seems to me that he wants a hardware agnostic language that uses all available resources.
-Renegade (December 13, 2011, 07:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's exactly what I found "interesting" in this "article". Basically : to what extent languages are / need to be projections of the hardware's own structure ? (By nature, certainly more than pure mathematical language(s).) And how much these ties between languages and hardware actually constrain the languages' own potential...? Are the author's thoughts mere unfounded speculations ? Maybe.

There's a definite exchange/mutual "influence" between languages (in the general sense of systematic means of communicating) and media, which in turn changes the way we think, perceive and understand the world around us. It certainly happens in the computer world.

In any case, I don't know clojure/lisp enough to be able to know how valid or legitimate the author's hypothesis/views are. Is Lisp/Clojure data types, control structures, mathematical like flavor etc. really an advantage ?

That's why I posted here -- I knew I'd get informed opinions.

Simple curiosity on my part. Nothing too serious.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version