ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

LHC Finds HBP? Or at least...they think they did...Awesome if confirmed!

<< < (3/4) > >>

Eóin:
Here's an awesome explanation of why the scientists cannot claim to have proof yet, but are nonetheless super excited and confident - Starts with a Bang - The Large Hadron Collider, the Higgs, and Hope.

Josh:
WOW! Great find there Eoin! Thanks for the link!

40hz:
You know, I'd like to comment here.  I was heavily involved with physics research when I was in school and all this stuff was a big deal.  The scientists, if I'm not mistaken, HATE that this thing has become called the god particle.
-superboyac (December 16, 2011, 12:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

They do.

Here's a report from the Washington Post on where the term "god particle" came from:

In truth, the term ‘God Particle’ was coined more by marketing than by theologians or scientists. The name was coined by Leon Lederman, a Nobel-Prize-winning physicist, for the title of a book -- The God Particle: If The Universe Is The Answer, What Is The Question?

It’s a great title, and whether it actually boosted sales or not, it is far easier to sell God than a Higgs Boson. How many people know what that is? Of course the same can be said for God, which is where this story gets more interesting.

The God Particle does not threaten faith and doesn’t even claim to do what most people imagine when they hear the term: replace God. Having found the God Particle, scientists would be the first to admit that they story is not over - that this new piece of information will help explain many things and open doors to new and even more complex questions
--- End quote ---

One overly clever and entertaining physicist trying to get in a soundbyte - an endless series of pointless and totally unnecessary arguments birthed in its wake. :-\

-----

Note to physicists: Please don't try to get cute or indulge in wordplay with people who cannot deal with paradox and ambiguity; or who tend to take things very literally. That way madness lies. For all of us! :P

Fred Nerd:
Not only do scientist hate the term, but so do Christians. It makes fun of both science and religion for the sake of a cheap word.

Or maybe its just me.

I see no problem with finding the Higgs Boson or finding anything else.
Was it Galileo who said that the Bible tells us how to go to heaven, not how the heavens go?
Well the Higgs Boson is the opposite.

Also just because that means it was possible that it all happened with an expansion of a waveform or something, it still doesn't mean that's what happened.

Sort of the 'God made the world complete with old dinosaur bones' theory.

Its all good fun  :)
You see the results your way, I see them mine and everyone has a good time.

kyrathaba:
Not sure god-believers would know whether they should be depressed, but then nothing would let them give up their metaphors.
--- End quote ---

Of course, non-believers' belief (that god-believers' beliefs are metaphors only and not based in a factual God) is simply itself an opinion, because science and philosophy can neither prove nor disprove the existence of a God.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version