ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

LHC Finds HBP? Or at least...they think they did...Awesome if confirmed!

<< < (2/4) > >>

mahesh2k:
God particle has nothing to do with "concept of god" as far as LHC is concerned . It was named only to simplify the concept of smallest possible particle that could answer some of the questions related to BBT and Singularity (universe formation, which is linked with the theological concept of god) and other puzzles in particle physics. As far as particle physics folks are concerned, I doubt they give any weight to concept of god unless ofcourse if they're heavily brainwashed in camp or Sunday morning meetups. Those who want to believe, find ways to bend the concept of god in their favor irrespective of lack of evidence. That aside, I guess it's the peak at which we can dig particle physics. I don't know if there is anything else left in theory for them to conduct more research in this domain once this stuff finishes.

IainB:
Ironically, the misnomer "god particle" for the Higgs Boson, if discovered, would effectively kill off the idea (or need) to explain god.
-zridling (December 13, 2011, 12:42 AM)
--- End quote ---
“Now it [the Babel Fish] is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as the final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God.
The argument goes something like this: "I refuse to prove that I exist,'" says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."
"But," says Man, "The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."
"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.”
 - the Narrator in Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

--- End quote ---

zridling:
And that's the exact point: what would be left to explain? We figured it out; it wasn't written in the bible, and despite the internet, there's been no "revelation" from any gods in more than a millenia according to the established religions.

superboyac:
You know, I'd like to comment here.  I was heavily involved with physics research when I was in school and all this stuff was a big deal.  The scientists, if I'm not mistaken, HATE that this thing has become called the god particle.

Shades:
@zridling:
You forget about the Mormons. According to them their president is a prophet...and those have a direct connection with the almighty one, is it not? ;-)

Guess they could not invent a better title for the top position (their church is part of a corporation after all, hehehe).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version