ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

AdBlock Plus To Not Block All Ads

<< < (10/15) > >>

app103:
If you're going to use a CSS mod, why not mod the CSS to make the ads tiny/invisible?  :huh:
-Deozaan (December 17, 2011, 10:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you don't want to see the ads at all, an even better hack is to change all 3 of them to display:none !important;
-app103 (December 17, 2011, 06:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Did that.  ;)

The hack to make them more obvious was provided because of those that seem to think we all should be looking at the ads all the time. I figured they would be happier with that one than the one that removed them.

Deozaan:
If you're going to use a CSS mod, why not mod the CSS to make the ads tiny/invisible?  :huh:
-Deozaan (December 17, 2011, 10:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you don't want to see the ads at all, an even better hack is to change all 3 of them to display:none !important;
-app103 (December 17, 2011, 06:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Did that.  ;)
-app103 (December 17, 2011, 10:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Aha. That's what I get for skimming instead of reading. :-[

IainB:
Actually, it is a good step into the right direction. The more users only allow static ads, the more ads will be static and less obtrusive and blinking and sounding and requiring Flash and crashing the browser, and one fine day no-one needs ad blockers anymore.
-Tuxman (December 13, 2011, 07:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
I think your statement has a chance of being supported by events. It certainly seems like it could potentially be a good step in the right direction, at least - that is, assuming that a "step in the right direction" means:
"...towards advertisers changing their advertisement implementation and on-screen presentation practices and in a manner that does not detract from the user's ability to gather useful and meaningful content for his browsing purposes."

--- End quote ---

Always hoping for improvement in such things, I have already re-enabled updating for ABP, and the new version 2.0.1 has installed.
After reading the FAQ Allowing acceptable ads in Adblock Plus, I have disabled (set false in about.config) the special treatment for the "acceptable" ads switch, so that it appears as just another filter in the ABP Options, and which I can enable/disable at will. I dislike black box features on principle, and prefer to be able to see what's going on inside, so the ability to view the filters for this is an advantage in that regard.

Given my preceding and long experience of some/most advertisers' moronic communication methods, I am somewhat sceptical of the potential rate of take-up of this ABP feature by advertisers - i.e. will they be able to change and become collaborative/willing? - hmm. Time will tell. It's a new idea, a change to the way things are usually done, and apparently an improvement of potential benefit to all/most parties, with no apparent disadvantages that I can think of.
And it can (so far) be switched off it we don't like it or if advertisers continue to abuse their communications access to users.
It seems reasonable to give it a chance.

@app103 That CSS mod - I can't get it to work. I think did it all by the book, but no go. I've not fiddled with CSS directly before, so I could have made a mistuk somewhere.    :(

app103:
@app103[/b] That CSS mod - I can't get it to work. I think did it all by the book, but no go. I've not fiddled with CSS directly before, so I could have made a mistuk somewhere.
-IainB (December 17, 2011, 11:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

It goes in your userContent.css file.

If you are using Firefox, follow these instructions: http://brugbart.com/Articles/custom-style-sheets

Then restart your browser.

mahesh2k:
How so is this "Google's answer to Adblockplus"? I don't understand. It doesn't seem to affect ABP - ABP blocks that too (I just checked - if I disable ABP then I will see these ads, but when ABP is enabled, I don't).What am I missing here?
--- End quote ---

I've adblock plus enabled with fanboys list and ghostery enabled to filter all the ads. I'm adsense user so i can't afford to click on even any random websites ads so that's why i run adblock to block ads from the networks. As you can see from screenshot, this search engine placement ad escaped through the filters of adblockplus and ghostery. So that's googles attempt to deal with ABP users and to manipulate search engine results at the same time. I am not sure how you managed to escape from this update of google because it is rolled out globally and there is lot of criticism going on for this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version