ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

AdBlock Plus To Not Block All Ads

<< < (5/15) > >>

mrainey:
that would have been a nice "thank you.
--- End quote ---

Agreed.  If everybody chipped in a little, maybe they could turn the ads off.  They're a pretty recent thing.

Carol Haynes:
If anyone wants to filter those notices the custom adblock filter is:

wikipedia.org##div#siteNotice

(at least today)

Actually they have been appearing on and off for years.

CWuestefeld:
I don't see what the hubbub is about.

First, there's no point in blocking the update, because you can still opt out of the change.

Second, I think their goal really does make sense: encourage less annoying advertising by continuing to block anything that goes over the line.

The fact is that many, many sites *need* that ad revenue to stay alive, and I really want to have all that stuff still on the Internet. If we're still in the driver's seat, with software that blocks the stuff that crosses the line, I think everyone wins.

EDIT: fix spelling error.

Josh:
I am with CWuestefeld. I already allow sites that are not abnoxious with their ads. Betanews is an example of a site which takes advertising overboard with their constant flash based ads which take over the page until you close them. I have no issues with google ads or basic static images. But anything animated that detracts my attention from the page content is over the line.

I support ABP in this initiative. I want the internet to remain free and prevent a world where you have to subscribe to multiple websites to get INFORMATION.

Eóin:
Personally I don't mind, static ads are all but invisible to my brain. In the past I've happily browsed the web without ads blocked, rather I just use flash block so I can enable only the flash boxes I want.

So I guess I'm with CWuestefeld and Josh on this.

Also, here's some food for thought - If you block ads, then aren't you being immensely selfish? After-all it means you are leeching a service while happily off loading the cost of your usage onto your fellow netizens who don't block the ads. You are using them to subsidise your own gains.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version