ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

AdBlock Plus To Not Block All Ads

<< < (3/15) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Interestingly I have checked for FF addon updates and this doesn't seem to be the version I have now - there are no options that I can see in the current version on my system that mention these options ??? And it doesn't appear to be allowing ads through.

IainB:
Interestingly I have checked for FF addon updates and this doesn't seem to be the version I have now - there are no options that I can see in the current version on my system that mention these options ??? And it doesn't appear to be allowing ads through.
-Carol Haynes (December 13, 2011, 03:50 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'm not sure about this, but the newly-proposed "advert-friendly" version(s) don't seem to have been released yet.
I checked on AdBlockplus.org Announcements and found what might be some explanation given by this post - which may indicate that add-on compatibility checking is an issue: Automatic updates to Adblock Plus 1.3.10 temporarily disabled [Update]

I generally subscribe to the belts-and-braces approach - so I switched off my auto-updates for the 2 add-ons anyway.

By the way, I am using FF v9.0 on the ß channel, and I have add-on compatibility checking disabled (so add-on updates generally get through, regardless). I do this because the new releases of FF seem to be coming too thick and furious for add-on developers to keep up. The browser stability seems unaffected - pretty much rock-solid, so far.    :Thmbsup:
If I do find that an add-on becomes unstable, I just disable it until its releases catch up.

IainB:
I think Adblock has had trouble blocking the Wikipedia campaign boxes lately. I think you can sludge your way with things like ElementHider (spelling?) but still, it's an ad,and it's ugly, go away.
-TaoPhoenix (December 12, 2011, 05:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
I just checked, and AdBlockPlus in my FF is still blocking those ugly ads on Wikipedia.

tomos:
I think Adblock has had trouble blocking the Wikipedia campaign boxes lately. I think you can sludge your way with things like ElementHider (spelling?) but still, it's an ad,and it's ugly, go away.
-TaoPhoenix (December 12, 2011, 05:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
I just checked, and AdBlockPlus in my FF is still blocking those ugly ads on Wikipedia.
-IainB (December 13, 2011, 08:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

hasn't here for a while

cyberdiva:
I'm using version 1.3.10, and apparently it hasn't been updated.  I've now unchecked "Update Add-ons Automatically," but I'm not sure what "Reset All Add-ons to Update Manually" means.  If I've turned off automatic updates, doesn't that mean I'll have to update all add-ons manually?  Why is that option listed?  Does it mean that I'll automatically be notified when there's an update, but it won't be installed unless I say so?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version