ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

AdBlock Plus To Not Block All Ads

<< < (12/15) > >>

IainB:
A-hah! Some sort of success!? Found this quite by chance.
Why the red border works here and not on a Google search is a mystery.

app103:
Are you using a localized version of Google search by any chance? If so, the domain name needs to be changed in the code to match your localized version.

If you have done that and it still isn't working, the ID names may be different in the pages you are viewing.  If they don't match the list I gave, it won't work.

The one in Google Groups that is showing the red outline, the ID name must match one of the ones in the set I provided. That's why it is showing up there, instead.

IainB:
@app103: Of course. It was right under my nose.
I am in New Zealand, and every time I send a search to Google, it gets transformed into google.co.nz.
It's very annoying. I can't see how to defeat it entirely in the awesome bar, but I read in a help forum that you could force the .com if you use:
http://www.google.com/ncr
- that returns you to google.com

How could I make the CSS script:
@-moz-document domain("google.com") OR @-moz-document domain("google.co.nz")
- or am I stuck with one domain only?

Could I fix this in the about:config instead? (Can't see how.)

Sorry to bother you.

Carol Haynes:
It's probobably your local DNS server translating .com to .co.nz - have you tired using alternative DNS servers?

Google have public DNS servers:

see http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

4wd:
It's probobably your local DNS server translating .com to .co.nz .....-Carol Haynes (December 19, 2011, 09:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

I run my own DNS server and it doesn't make a difference here, (even using Googles DNS servers).

I think it's more a case of Google reading your IP location and bringing up the localised version.  If I run a VPN into the UK or Germany then I'll get .co.uk or .de if I type in www.google.com

Alternatively, (in Firefox), if you have Google.com set as your search engine and click on the search icon in the input area, (with no text input), you'll go the Google.com page.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version