topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: LaunchBar Commander issue with RDP monitors  (Read 4295 times)

xpi3000

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
LaunchBar Commander issue with RDP monitors
« on: April 05, 2012, 01:24 PM »
Let me ask a related question, my web dock is now docked on left side of my second monitor, what will happen when
i connect with remote desktop using only the first monitor? can my web dock then show up on right side?
can't test this right now because of doing some coding myself.  8)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 01:33 PM »
what will happen when i connect with remote desktop using only the first monitor? can my web dock then show up on right side?

Unless the remote connection makes the desktop think it has changed size, im guessing the dock will stay on the other monitor and thus not be visible to you.

You have some options:
  • you could create an additional dock on your other monitor
  • you could minimize the dock to the tray and use it from there
  • you could set a hotkey to show the dock as a menu under your cursor and use it that way when connecting via remote admin.

Or if this is an issue others have, we could try to figure out a solution that moves the dock in some smart ways -- i'm open to hearing proposals for that..

xpi3000

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 01:50 PM »
Or if this is an issue others have, we could try to figure out a solution that moves the dock in some smart ways -- i'm open to hearing proposals for that..

I use Actual Window Manager, it does detect how many screens are used. when sitting on my workstation with two screens i have an extra title bar button for moving a window to another screen. When connecting with rdp those button is gone.
I think you could add an option for docks how to behave when there is no screen to display on.
  • Find next logical place
  • Manual Setting
  • Show floating
  • Do nothing

I do automate my system with Quick Macros since nearly 10 years, meaning that i at least help you with solutions i made there.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 02:01 PM »
I think you could add an option for docks how to behave when there is no screen to display on.

I don't use RDP -- can someone enlighten me about how apps see themselves when running in such a case?

The remote desktop tools i use don't change the host operating environment at all -- so all monitors are always there as far as any applications are concerned -- they don't know that anything has changed -- it's simply a case where the client that you use to connect looks at one monitor (or all) at a time.

But it sounds like with RDP its more like creating a new desktop, with only one monitor?

xpi3000

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 03:38 PM »
But it sounds like with RDP its more like creating a new desktop, with only one monitor?

seems so, i guess Enumeration and Display Control (Windows) can be used.
just run a timer which does check how many monitors are available?