ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

how to run programs without altering the host pc

<< < (3/3)

Carol Haynes:
How about http://www.vbox.me/

Haven't tried it but you could give it a spin

PhilB66:
Well sandboxie will do it if it's already installed on the host PC. Portable apps should work too, that is the basic idea of them, but they don't necessarily provide guarantees to that effect.
-Eóin (December 08, 2011, 06:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

There is a portable sandboxie.
-PhilB66 (December 08, 2011, 09:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

AFAIK the only problem is it's an old version (V2.2.2.3) last released in late 2007.
-40hz (December 08, 2011, 10:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wrong. There are a few portable launchers for Sandboxie. The latest was released earlier this month. Search http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/index.php

40hz:
Wrong. There are a few portable launchers for Sandboxie. The latest was released earlier this month. Search http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/index.php
-PhilB66 (December 08, 2011, 10:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Duly noted.  :Thmbsup:

Sorry. Miscommunication. I though you were referring to an official as opposed to user contributed version.

To my way of thinking (because I have clients to support and report to) there's a big difference between an application designed from the ground up to be a portable app, and one that's isn't, but was kludged to act like one.

When it comes to applications that provide system-level functions and services, I don't trust kludges or hacks. Far too many opportunities for error. I've seen many cases where one appeared to be working correctly - but was not. Then there's the security issue. Since Sandboxie needs to be granted access to fairly low-level hooks and services to function, you need to trust it. I don't have a problem with the developer Ronen Tzur. I'm not so trusting of somebody I've never heard of posting a link to a launcher over on a site that's in Russian. Call me paranoid if you like. I make no excuses or apologies, although I'm more inclined to characterise my attititude as prudent.  ;D

Further, with something like Sandboxie, I'm sure its developer has more than enough talent to code an official portable version of this product. The fact the developer hasn't tends to make me think there are likely to be very good technical reasons why it's not a swift idea.

Just my 2. :)

4wd:
Instead of having a completely portable OS, (eg. Portable VirtualBox), you could try MojoPac which allows you to have your applications portable, (or entire Desktop), but uses the underlying Windows OS.

Requires Admin rights, (same as VirtualBox), and it says it requires Windows XP x86 but you may have no trouble running it on Vista/7 using compatibility mode...or not.

sword:
Re: "...any other alternative.":

'Live' Linux CD/DVD/USB run entirely in RAM and have a growing list of uses. See distrowatch.com

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version