ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft goes all Apple with a Kill Switch for Apps under Win8

<< < (5/5)

40hz:
Dumb question - so it's not possible to create metro app and distribute via your own website ?
-mahesh2k (December 09, 2011, 12:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

No.

As things presently stand, Microsoft's Metro Store will be the only place to purchase, and the only way to install, Metro based apps.

Just like Apple's iPhone/iPad. No independent sell/installs allowed.

f0dder:
In fairness, Microsoft has had some of the capability for a zillion years, with ActiveX kill bits.

But yeah, this is a bigger thing, and I don't like it at all.

zridling:
Some day you will purchase a low powered device incapable of any type of data storage. It will come with a built in RPC-like client, which will load and ask you for a credit card number the first time you boot it up. There will be nothing else available. The actual OS, all the apps, and all your data will be in the cloud. There will be no more malware, there will be no more piracy, there will be no more obtaining anything from unapproved sources. Customizing options will be limited. There will be no more tinkering and breaking things. Apps purchased will be updated automatically. The OS will be updated automatically. This will all be at the server level. A developer that fails to keep up with things and make necessary changes will have their software wiped from all user accounts. I said this 3-4 years ago. It is my computing nightmare. Let's see if it comes to pass. It has already started.-app103 (December 09, 2011, 08:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

April nailed it, but the first step outside the mobile space seems to be Google's Chromebook, which, while very popular with those who bought them, is the first step. And as 40hz noted, UEFI is the first step for Windows machines.

JavaJones:
Good point. (Apple has pulled many apps from their store after the fact - as for wiping, not sure...)
-Renegade (December 09, 2011, 06:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

That was my point.  They've *never* used the killswitch.  But google has... and multiple times.
-wraith808 (December 09, 2011, 10:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

There seems to be significant debate about that. No confirmed "kill switching", but "Ndrive", "Hottest Girls", and other apps have disappeared from some - though not all - users phones. Is this a glitch? Poorly implemented "kill switch" tech? The reality of some people having jailbroken phones with disabled kill switch? Who knows. But I'm not so sure Apple hasn't exercised this right yet.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version