ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft goes all Apple with a Kill Switch for Apps under Win8

<< < (3/5) > >>

40hz:
You could almost (but not quite) make an argument for having the capability of remotely killing an app.

But user data is the property of the user. There is ZERO justification for nuking somebody's data.

That jive move is definitely something motivated by SOPA considerations I'm sure.

Apple has pulled many apps from their store after the fact - as for wiping, not sure...
-Renegade (December 09, 2011, 06:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've had apps disappear off my iPhone after they've been pulled from Apple's store.

I wasn't asked. They just quietly disappeared. When I went to reload them I found they were no longer available from the AppStore.

When I complained to Apple, they merely pointed me to the section in their license, and in my service agreement, that reserves their right to do so. I was also reminded I given them my tacit "consent" to do this as a condition of my using Apple's phone and app store, and AT&T's wireless service.

I will never buy another product  from Apple.  >:(

Stoic Joker:
You could almost (but not quite) make an argument for having the capability of remotely killing an app.

But user data is the property of the user. There is ZERO justification for nuking somebody's data.

That jive move is definitely something motivated by SOPA considerations I'm sure.-40hz (December 09, 2011, 07:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Completely agree, especially looking at this rather open ended generalization:

"In cases where your security is at risk, or where we're required to do so for legal reasons...
--- End quote ---

I'm really not the slightest bit excited by the coming of Windows H8 ... It's actually becoming quite troubling.

Renegade:
@40hz - Thanks for the clarification there.

I likely will give more money to Apple as I plan on expanding my software there. It's not by choice. Many of my users are on macs now. What to do? Sigh...  :huh:

app103:
Some day you will purchase a low powered device incapable of any type of data storage. It will come with a built in RDP-like client, which will load and ask you for a credit card number the first time you boot it up. There will be nothing else available. You will not be able to build your own. Every member of the family will need their own device. You will not be able to share.

You will pay a monthly fee for the feature package you desire. Users will have to pay for the standard basic package designed for the purpose of content consumption. Developers will have to pay additional fees for a developers package designed for creation or they will not be allowed to develop software, websites, or anything else.

The actual OS, all the apps, and all your data will be in the cloud. If you have ever used a Windows Server 2003 or 2008 machine remotely from an old Win9x box, it will be a lot like that, except without the Win9x.

Only approved software will be available, for which you must pay for a license, and will also be on a monthly fee.

There will be no more malware, there will be no more piracy, there will be no more obtaining anything from unapproved sources. Customizing options will be limited. There will be no more tinkering and breaking things.

Apps purchased will be updated automatically. The OS will be updated automatically. This will all be at the server level. A developer that fails to keep up with things and make necessary changes will have their software wiped from all user accounts.

The RIAA will love the idea that you can only acquire their music through official sources, they will love the idea that independent artists will not be able to get their music into the hands of the consumer without them again. They will love the return to the days when they had a monopoly.

The MPAA will love the idea that you will never own another DVD again. You will only have access to pay-per-view to stream through official sources.

Adobe will love the idea that nobody will ever be able to pirate Photoshop ever again. Everyone that wants to use it will have to pay for it, monthly.

Users that are tired of malware and tired of losing their data when their hardware dies will love it as well. They will love always having the latest and greatest version of all the software they pay for. They will find the new "Pay" button on their keyboard very convenient. They will feel secure knowing that nobody that isn't authorized, will be able to accept payments through the use of that button. No more phishing worries.

The banks will love the rise in consumer debt, the interest they will get to charge and collect.

Freeware developers will hate it.
Poor people will hate it.
You will hate it.

This will be your Apple device.
This will be your Microsoft device.
This will not be your Linux device. You can not install Linux on it.

I said this 3-4 years ago. It is my computing nightmare. Let's see if it comes to pass. It has already started.

Renegade:
Well, nothing like pissing on everyone's parade with a dose of reality...

+1 app. I hate to say it... :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version