ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

Cody got into the electrical cables again .. Server went down on 12/8/11

<< < (4/6) > >>

mouser:
It's a very good idea.  We need to have another small forum somewhere so we can meet when donationcoder main site goes offline, to provide information, etc.

Meanwhile if you install an irc chat program (lots of free ones), you can always find us chatting any hour of the night on the efnet network, on channel #donationcoder (that's where you go if you hit the chat button at the top of the page).

Renegade:
mouser, isn't this the second time that has happened?

(I'm with Softlayer as well, but in the Texas data centers, and I've NEVER had any problems.)

Renegade:
It's a very good idea.  We need to have another small forum somewhere so we can meet when donationcoder main site goes offline, to provide information, etc.

Meanwhile if you install an irc chat program (lots of free ones), you can always find us chatting any hour of the night on the efnet network, on channel #donationcoder (that's where you go if you hit the chat button at the top of the page).
-mouser (December 09, 2011, 02:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Is the cloud actually at the point where you can run a real application in the cloud? Like a forum? A data driven application? I mean like a decentralized solution that you can still run off of traditional DNS, and not a uber-massive DDNS redundant server beast. Just a simple little solution that's decentralized and will let small sites (e.g. 1 server) run?

IainB:
Is the cloud actually at the point where you can run a real application in the cloud? Like a forum? A data driven application? I mean like a decentralized solution that you can still run off of traditional DNS, and not a uber-massive DDNS redundant server beast. Just a simple little solution that's decentralized and will let small sites (e.g. 1 server) run?
-Renegade (December 09, 2011, 02:44 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well, you could migrate DCF to Google groups, I suppose...
That's distributed and backed up all over the place, I gather. Not sure if that means that it is in the "Cloud" though.

JavaJones:
Seriously, is down time enough of an issue that we need a *second forum* to "discuss DC stuff while the main forum is down"? Woah. That's... crazy in my opinion. Just get a reliable hosting service! The IRC channel is enough for those "in the know" (which is the only people who would know about and use an alternate forum when the main one is down anyway). I seriously don't think resources and time should be wasted on a secondary forum.

Anyway, has anyone ever heard of a data center power outage that *went well*, i.e. according to plan? Something like "At 3PM Pacific Time on December 11th, our San Jose data center lost power. Our UPS units kept all systems online while our backup generators kicked in and there was no interruption of service. Our backup generators powered all systems for 9 hours until the utility company could restore power. Thank you for your patronage." End of story. I think I've seen that maybe *once*, yet 10s of times I've seen "Our backup systems got overloaded and failed, then things went down for x amount of time. Sorry!" What good are backup systems that fail themselves?

What about switching to a different Softlayer data center?

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version