ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Quietly brilliant piece of technology - the NEST thermostat

<< < (2/3) > >>

mrainey:
Which is nice assuming you aren't having thermostat wars
--- End quote ---

You got that right.

40hz:
IF the device was actually that smart it would self destruct after "learning" what ^its New Job^ actually entailed keeping up with.
-Stoic Joker (December 08, 2011, 10:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Amazing how someone can draw such certain conclusions with zero evidence and a complete lack of actual testing or experience to go on.   ;)

Oh well...that same 'methodology' of "proof by assertion" works for the government anytime energy policy or global warming comes up - so why not here? It's semi-related.  ;D

As with any technology, individual mileage will vary. In this particular case, I'm looking at it from my perspective of two adults (who are out for fairly long periods at a time) with three temp zones in their living space. To me this looks like it might be worth a try once a little more  realworld customer experience comes to light.

As far as cost...well...that's relative too. Just this week I was very seriously contemplating purchasing a $299 video camera mentioned here that I have zero need for - and absolutely no justification in getting - other than I'd really like having it. So this device is just one more possible use for disposable income.

I don't personally care about this particular device's price tag. What I am interested in is how it points the way to where so much of our basic control devices may be heading.

Just my 2ยข  8)

mrainey:
You share or have shared a living space with a female and still think the Nest can learn to keep things comfortable for all?

Let us know how it works out.  Something that would do that is every man's dream.

Stoic Joker:
IF the device was actually that smart it would self destruct after "learning" what ^its New Job^ actually entailed keeping up with.
-Stoic Joker (December 08, 2011, 10:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Amazing how someone can draw such certain conclusions with zero evidence and a complete lack of actual testing or experience to go on.   ;)
-40hz (December 08, 2011, 12:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Quite to the contrary my friend. My experience comes from 20 years of marriage, and in understanding the environmental requirements that the device is to be subjected to. I'm allowing the thing to opt for an honerable death, instead of forcing it to constantly fail to anticipate when one member of the household will attempt to compensate for a "Hot Flash". Google Menopause ... You'll understand then.

You share or have shared a living space with a female and still think the Nest can learn to keep things comfortable for all?

Let us know how it works out.  Something that would do that is every man's dream.-mrainey (December 08, 2011, 01:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

^He^ knows...

;)

40hz:
I give up. :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version