ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Alias sharing

<< < (7/9) > >>

Lashiec:
*shrugs*

I suppose it could be a good idea, but it should provide something different from Alt-Tab in Windows to avoid reinventing the wheel. How about the possibility of change between all apps currently running, including those which reside in the system tray? I know some task managers currently provide this functionality, showing all windows "drew" by Windows, and allowing to bring to the front those which are hidden, including app in the systray. And it could be even better if it showed thumbnails of the software! (tricky)

Also, another suggestion. Some of these aliases are interesting, so I vote for merging the most useful in the main FARR installation, or provide an "alias" page to complement the future "plugins" page for FARR.

Armando:
I don't think it would be reinventing the wheel — farr would bring features you don,t find in other task switchers (like digit keys/f# keys to launch results, search as you type, etc.). Also, of farr could replace the alt-tab feature, it would bring more coherence to the whole task management thing in windows. Why should we have to hit alt-tab and use a certain interface to switch between windows/tasks, alt-space to launch an app with yet another interface (farr), etc.? Not that it's a bad idea per se, but I like the idea of a central interface to manage windows/tasks… Dunno… seems sexier to me  ;)
Hit alt tab (or whatever) and farr appears with a list of windows, press a number and bam. Or start typing, press a number and bam. Of course, there could be options to have tasks appear in a certain order, grouped by titles, application, etc. There could be an option to give custom names to the different windows (potentially useful if you're working with several windows having similar titles)... Anyway... The usual alt-tab replacement features... + some more and farr's own special features!

rjbull:
How about the possibility of change between all apps currently running, including those which reside in the system tray? I know some task managers currently provide this functionality, showing all windows "drew" by Windows, and allowing to bring to the front those which are hidden, including app in the systray.
-Lashiec (September 04, 2007, 05:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

If that's done, I think showing hidden windows should be optional.  If I run ShoWin originall by Robin Keir and now owned by Foundstone, I find a  load of invisible windows that aren't immediately helpful.  For example, I run Magic Notes sticky notes program, which turns out to make all its notes hidden windows.  I wouldn't want FARR to find those by default.

Lashiec:
I suppose some method could be devised to show only those ones with an actual working window, that is, those which are minimized to the system tray (foobar2000, XMPlay, µTorrent and such).

Armando:
Bump!

Don't forget to share your farr aliases here !  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version