ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Url Pack 1.7.0.0

<< < (11/11)

TaoPhoenix:
I use Cometbird
-TaoPhoenix (April 12, 2012, 02:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Funny.  I just ran across it today.  So far the only "bad" thing is it won't accept some of the Firefox AddOns.  But it seems to run fine.   :Thmbsup:

Edit:  It figures.  I start using it just as the developers decide to dump it.   :huh:

http://www.cometforums.com/topic/12799293-cometbird-development-officially-discontinued-jan-2015/
-MilesAhead (February 07, 2015, 01:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

See this note:
"For those still using it we recommend switching to Firefox Browser"

Trying to draw a broader thread together, maybe we're seeing the end of "one of" the golden ages of free wheeling project making. Elsewhere the CrunchBang Linux developer said almost the same thing to the effect of "what once made it unique is no longer relevant so I'm ceasing development".

That's a subtle disturbing favor "sort of" in favor of the Big Guns who can afford to release certain things forever (but then look at Google's rate of introducing and dropping stuff!)

As time is marching on around me, in my slow computer learning, I really hadn't planned on end-of-life of projects. You/We picked "our solutions" to ... do things. Because Reasons. So then when our thing drops off into a dead end, we're stuck with things we *didn't* choose Because Other Reasons.

Computing gets hard! 
:(

MilesAhead:
The funny thing is I didn't try it out for the features.  But because it was another 32 bit FF derivative.  I wanted to see if I could get a fast FF that would scroll easily with HW accel. enabled.  So far it's working fine except for sites giving the "we don't support FF 11 anymore so upgrade" msg.  :)

Maybe I'll try Cyberfox 32 bit.

TaoPhoenix:
The funny thing is I didn't try it out for the features.  But because it was another 32 bit FF derivative.  I wanted to see if I could get a fast FF that would scroll easily with HW accel. enabled.  So far it's working fine except for sites giving the "we don't support FF 11 anymore so upgrade" msg.  :)

-MilesAhead (February 09, 2015, 07:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

I haven't heard of Cyberfox.

I'll try to look into it.

MilesAhead:
The funny thing is I didn't try it out for the features.  But because it was another 32 bit FF derivative.  I wanted to see if I could get a fast FF that would scroll easily with HW accel. enabled.  So far it's working fine except for sites giving the "we don't support FF 11 anymore so upgrade" msg.  :)

-MilesAhead (February 09, 2015, 07:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

I haven't heard of Cyberfox.

I'll try to look into it.

-TaoPhoenix (February 09, 2015, 07:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've been running Cyberfox 64 bit.  It keeps up to date with the FF current version.  The only real issue so far is the scrolling hangs unless you untick "use hw accel." in Options.

On CometBird I did find a user agent AddOn that fakes out Outlook.  Only thing is I have to set it every time it opens.  It won't remember to use Firefox 35.  So either way I have to do extra clicks.  :(

Edit:  I got Outlook and Gmail to quit complaining using about:config
Add string
general.useragent.override

and set it to a user agent string.  I'm using
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; rv:35.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/35.0

for FF 35.0 in Windows.  I'm assuming NT 6.3 means Windows 8
The string I got both "35.0"s were  "36.0" but I changed 'em to "35.0"

Seems to work so far.  The advantage is it remembers it on restart.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version