ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Ad Muncher: keeps the brain intact while surfing the Net - beats AdBlock!

<< < (4/15) > >>

taichimaster:

I don't think Admuncher comes with a default list. It just adds any application acessing Internet as "filter target".

-wr975 (March 24, 2006, 07:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yep, the "filter target" was what I was talking about.  It's the default list of "known safe" programs, supplied by AdMuncher and is automatically updated.  Of course, you could choose not to trust that default list and make up your own list etc (Options -> Filter Targets -> My filter targets).

About AdMuncher to allow Internet access... Could you test this behavior on your system?

I've Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall and Admuncher installed. AdMuncher is allowed to do "code injection" and Internet access.
Kerio still intercepts any process trying to access Internet (even those who try to get access via IE, like LeakTest or Google Video Player).

--- End quote ---

Yes, I have experienced this with Agnitum Outpost.  If Admuncher is ON, it doesn't not notify me on port 80 access from the apps that are in the filter targets.  If you don't believe that admunch.exe is issuing network requests on other processes' behalf, you can do a simple test by blocking port 80 access on "admunch.exe" and see if you could still access google.com through IE or Firefox.  The interceptions that you saw from Kerio PFW, were they port 80 requests or on some other ports like 443, 8080 etc?

AdMuncher is not acting as a proxy, like AdSubtract or Proxomitron.

--- End quote ---

It's not a proxy in the sense that you don't have to manually edit your browser's proxy settings and pointing it to localhost.  But it's still "acting" as a proxy of some sort since it's issuing network requests on other programs' behalf.  There's a FAQ for it:

Q: Why does my firewall say Ad Muncher is making "server" and outbound connections?
A: This is just how Ad Muncher filters your browser's transfers; when your browser tries to connect to a web server, it is instead connected to the local Ad Muncher program (hence why it is creating a listening ("server") connection).  Ad Muncher then connects out to the original target of the browser, which accounts for the outbound connections.  These connections are perfectly normal and no cause for concern;  the listening sockets are of no use to anyone except the programs on your computer trying to connect out.

--- End quote ---

wr975:
Hi,

I've just tried the leak test from http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2847 and it failed to connect. Kerio reported "leaktest" wanted to access the Internet (port 80). AdMucher running, "leaktest" in Filter Targets/Programs that made connections. I've also tried leaktest in stealth mode and renamed it to thunderbird.exe. Same result.

Perhaps you can try the same test on your system. It would be interesting to know if leaktest can connect with/without Admuncher running.

vegas:
giving this a bump in hopes of an April discount as there are many people in the world that NEED this software  :Thmbsup:

mouser:
a discount is coming, but i dont know if it will be in april - probably have to wait until may.

kimmchii:
i didnt know this forum is affiliated with ad muncher, no wonder the opinions are bias.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version