ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of ... a favicon generator/transformer (that works!)

(1/2) > >>

barney:
Folk,

I need/would like to take an existing .jpg and convert it to a favicon.ico.  I've tried this all afternoon, with no success whatsoever.

The last two (2) things I tried were a Firefox add-on, image2icon and a Web site, http://www.generatefavicon.com/, both to no return.  I've tried every Website/service I could find for this conversion.  I have Axialis' Icon Workshop.  All of these things purport to perform the conversion I desire.  They don't - or, at least, they haven't.

So, anyone with a pregnant idea?  One that might give birth to a working product?

No, I cannot create the damned thing myself ... when it comes to visual design, anyone else with just one (1) eye is likely to outperform me.  I stink at endeavors artistic.

MilesAhead:
I just tried this with a jpg and it looks like it worked:

http://www.dagondesign.com/tools/favicon-generator-tool/

I think the trick with the favicon is to have a single 16x16 icon. Not multiple sizes in one .ico file.

barney:
Thank you, sir  :Thmbsup:.

That one worked.  Axialis liked it.  More to the point, the Web site liked it  :P.

I'm curious why the others didn't, but not enough to do serious research.  Maybe download corruption?  I dunno, but as long as the site owner is happy ... I think the trick with the favicon is to have a single 16x16 icon. Not multiple sizes in one .ico file.
-MilesAhead (December 03, 2011, 01:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed.  I've seen a few that are like 32x16 (I thimk), and a few that act like GIFs, but I'll stick with the basics on this until such time as I can be certain of what I'm doing  :huh:.

Sidebar:
Huh!  The spell checker doesn't like thimk.  Apparently it's never been exposed to '70s & '80s inspirational posters  ;D.

MilesAhead:
It's been so long since I did the favicon for my site that I'm not sure what I used to make the icon from the jpg. But it's a single 16x16.

Glad it worked for you.

Renegade:
See if you can get a copy of IcoFX 1.6. (PM me with your email address if you can't and I'll email it to you -- IF you can accept an EXE in your email, e.g. Gmail doesn't allow EXE files.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version